Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help
clmclaug
Neophyte
Member # 108002

Icon 5 posted      Profile for clmclaug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there, so me and my boyfriend always use condoms when we have sex, and we use them properly. (BTW: Im 19 years old) I havent gotten my period though the last 2 months. I am thin and my weight changes sometimes so they have never been really regular since I was 12. I thought I may be pregnant so I took 2 home pregnancy tests. Once was about a week ago and then I took the other a couple days ago in the morning (so it was more accurate). Both came back negative but I still havent gotten my period. I have been having some slight cramping and back aches lately so I think it may be coming but im worried theres a chance that the pregnancy tests were faulty. I read the scary stories saying some women can never find out they are pregnant form a home pregnancy test when they actually are. Also, i know cramping can be a sign of early preganancy. HELP! I would just like some more knowledge though from you, Scarleteen, since I know google and the internet cannot always be so reliable. Thanks
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure where you are hearing cramping is a common symptom of early pregnancy, as it's not.

If you have concern your tests were expired per their date, or otherwise faulty, then you'll want to get another test to take, or visit a clinic for a test there.

Personally, if you haven't yet checked in with a healthcare provider about missing periods for months or more, at 19, if you have had your period for at least a few years, I'd advise checking in about that. Not per pregnancy concerns, but per your health, especially if you feel this may be due to being underweight, something you may need healthcare with if you are so underweight it's not allowing your body to have regular cycles.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi clmclaug,

First off, if you haven't read our article on pregnancy tests, you may find it helpful: Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests If you're using them according to the instructions, they're really quite accurate, so I don't see any reason not to trust the results you've had so far.

I'd really encourage you not to read any of those "my pregnancy didn't show up on tests!!!" stories that are easy to find online; there's really no way to verify any of that information and a lot of those stories describe things that just can't happen at all. If you know you're prone to worrying then I think keeping yourself off of those sites will be your best bet. =)

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clmclaug
Neophyte
Member # 108002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clmclaug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't expired, the exp. date was June 2015. But I have the pill to start to help make my periods regular, I just havent started it yet cause I've been waiting to get my period. I am not underweight, just that my weight can fluctuate. This "no period in a couple months" has only happened to me a couple times before and its been due to stress usually. But thank you for the help, I do feel much better about not being pregnant. I feel i did take the 2 tests correctly, especially since i got the digital kind, and those have a little book appear on the screen if the test wasn't done properly.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can start your pill before your period arrives, if that would help you feel more relaxed about pregnancy in the future. The literature that came with it should have information on how to start taking it if you don't want to wait for your period.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.