Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnancy Scare?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy Scare?
LaurenM
Neophyte
Member # 104031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurenM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question. I have been very stressed these past couple months and am wondering if that is what is causing my irregular menstrual cycles. 2 cycles ago, I had sex on day 17 of my cycle. I am on the pill and have been for about 3 years, and generally take it about the same time each day. He also did not ejaculate inside me. I was VERY stressed out that month, and lost over 10 lbs (i am only 100 lbs to begin with and very tiny, so this was kind of a shock to me and the weight loss was unintentional.) Anyways, my period was on time, but it was dark brown and not too heavy, only lasting a few days. I took it as being due to the stress. I took a pregnancy test about 2 weeks after the weird period and it came back negative (I took the test in the morning of that day). For the rest of that month, I experienced mild cramping and some random spotting that I do not usually have, and I am still experiencing these cramps now. My next period did come on time the following month, but it only lasted about a couple days, but it was red blood and a pretty steady flow with normal menstrual like cramps (my period is usually about 5 days). Also, following the weird brown period, I started taking my pill at EXACTLY the same time each day as well, so I am wondering if that is the reason that I am still having these weird mild cramps/groin pain because my hormones are out of whack, or if this could be due to the stress?? I have no other pregnancy symptoms so I really don't think I am pregnant, along with the stress and the fact that I had a period/negative test. I have just been freaking out because I have no idea what could be going on! Thank you!!
Posts: 5 | From: CT | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurenM
Neophyte
Member # 104031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurenM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also been having some GI problems, rib and chest pain too that I am attributing to the stress.
Posts: 5 | From: CT | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi LaurenM and welcome to Scarleteen,

Stress, and a significant weight loss such as you describe, will both impact a person's cycle, even if they're on birth control.

Have you seen a healthcare provider for the pain you're describing?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurenM
Neophyte
Member # 104031

Hi Robin!

I have been to the gastroenterologist last week for my GI problems, and my tests came back negative...he also said the rib pain can be due to stress I have an appointment for the gynocologist on Tuesday, so I am going to talk to her about these issues. It is just so stressful because I have read so many stories about women who have bleeding during pregnancy, so it kind of made me freak out, even though I figure that the light period was because I have been taking my birth control perfectly on time this past month, on top of the stress.

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Light withdrawal bleeds (which is what we call a period when someone is on birth control) are pretty common for people taking birth control pills.

Bleeding during pregnancy is something very different from getting withdrawal bleeds on time. It happens for different reasons, and isn't going to follow the pattern your withdrawal bleeds follow.

Have you gained back any of the weight you've lost? It sounds like your body is just generally feeling pretty beaten up by the stress you've been under, and I'm glad to hear you're exploring possible problems with your healthcare providers.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurenM
Neophyte
Member # 104031

I have gained back around 3 lbs of the weight I lost, but at least it's something! So you are saying that bleeding during pregnancy would not necessarily be at the same time that you would get a withdrawal bleed? I only ask this because since I have been on birth control, I have never had a period that was that short, but I assume this is what my period should be like when on the pill
Allie R
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 102566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie R     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lauren,

I think that the stress you've been experiencing lately really is the reason why your period's acting a little differently this time around. Another volunteer who knows some more could perhaps differentiate a withdrawal bleed from bleeding resulting from pregnancy/implantation etc., but like Robin said, bleeding during pregnancy is different than what you've described, and I think it's very unlikely that you're pregnant because you've taken the tests, and aren't experiencing any other symptoms that would strongly indicate a pregnancy.

I do hope you've been able to de-stress some! [Smile]

--------------------
AAR

Posts: 109 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurenM
Neophyte
Member # 104031

Thank you so much! I appreciate your insight! [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.