Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Condom Usage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom Usage
D3PO
Neophyte
Member # 96429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello!

I am just wondering, if I use condoms as contraception will I definitely know if there is a break/leakage after the fact, or could there be some ambiguity? So far I've only been using condoms as a backup method of contraception, and have been on the combined pill as well. However, I plan to go off the pill as I've been getting bad mood swings, and my boyfriend and I are breaking up anyway due to a move. My plan was to use condoms during my free week, and then, if there were any problems, I could continue on taking the pill for an extra month after my free week was over, but this plan only works if I know for sure when a problem would occur.

Also, would I know after the fact if the condom broke even if my boyfriend doesn't ejaculate?

Thank you

Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D3PO
Neophyte
Member # 96429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, if I have sex on the day of my last pill, am I protected, as I have the full free week for the sperm to leave my system?
Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi D3PO. It usually is very noticeable when a condom breaks -- it tends to be a pretty big tear when it does happen. So even if your boyfriend doesn't ejaculate, I'd say it'd still be pretty obvious that the condom broke.

Also, yes, the week of your withdrawal bleed would still be covered from your last pill pack; however as soon as the day comes when you'd usually start a new pill cycle, there'd be risk. But of course it's always a good idea to back up with condoms anyway, so if you'd feel more comfortable doing that, we certainly suggest it [Smile]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D3PO
Neophyte
Member # 96429

Thanks for that!

Just to confirm, you're saying that if I had sex during the first week I come off the pill (the pill free week) I'd still be safe? I know sperm can stay in your system for up to a week, so I was under the impression that it would be a bad idea to have sex during this week, in case there was any sperm that could then become a problem if I ovulate once I go off.

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clarify, are you talking about the week that you would normally stop the pill (or take a placebo, depending on what brand of pill you have), the week in which you'd get your withdrawal bleed, or are you talking about the week after that?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D3PO
Neophyte
Member # 96429

I was talking about the week where I normally stop taking the pill, and get a withdrawal bleed
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are not going to take a next pack, then yes, you should figure that starting with your first placebo pill, you'll no longer have the protection the pill offers.

If you wanted to have intercourse without using another method that week, and to count on your pill, you'd need to take another full cycle of it after that week.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68232 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.