Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Figuring out what time to take BC, and a question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Figuring out what time to take BC, and a question
CrazyOldMe
Neophyte
Member # 96016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyOldMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there!

I started on the pill about two weeks ago. My doctor mentioned that many women experience nausea a few hours after taking the pill when they first start out and recommended I take it at night, so that I would sleep through the nausea. So far though, I haven't experienced any nausea, even when I've stayed up until the early hours of the morning--but I've learned very quickly that I don't like taking the pill at night. Often I'm out running errands or visiting friends, and I'm having trouble remembering to grab the pack before I leave the house. I'm at a loss when it comes to figuring out a better time though I've considered taking it when I wake up but am worried I might sleep through the time on weekends. I've also considered early afternoon, but that would mean I have to keep the pills in my backpack or purse, and since I live in a warm climate, they would be exposed to temperatures much higher than you're supposed to store them. Have you heard of any other times women find convienient? And how do you go about changing what time you take your pill by half a day or more? Should I wait until I start a new pack?

Second (and this is a bit personal), I had an issue when I started this pack. My parents knew some women who suffered serious injuries due to birth control. All of the were at higher risk (smokers, family history of blood clots, etc) and I'm not, but I still grew up hearing "birth control isn't safe." Even though I now know otherwise, I was still so scared when I tried to start, I popped the first pill out of the pack, stared at it for an hour, an put it back. The second night, I called a supportive friend and had her talk me through it while I took the second pill in the pack. I've been fine emotionally since then, but that first pill is still untouched. I know I need to take all the active pills and I'm on a monophasic brand, so would it be ok for me to take that first pill right before the placebos, even though it would have been exposed to the air for weeks?

Sorry about the novel. I don't have very many people I can talk about this with, and sometimes they don't know the answers.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking the pill first thing in the morning is something that works well for many women, and you can set an alarm to go off even on weekends, take your pill and then go back to sleep. If taking it at midday means your pills are going to be exposed to very high temperatures for several hours a day, I would say it would be best to find another time.

As far as changing the time, if you've been on the pill for some time, it's best to switch times at the start of a pack. But, you've only just started, and since it's best to use a backup method for the entire first pack anyways, you're probably just fine switching times with your next pill.

I don't actually know whether a pill exposed to air for several weeks would still be effective - the best person to ask about that would really be a pharmacist. Can you contact the pharmacy that filled your prescription and ask?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5738 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.