Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnancy Tests-My clinic is being unhelpful. (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Pregnancy Tests-My clinic is being unhelpful.
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hello kitteh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay:) they are going to do an hcg blood test. will that show an ectopic if there was one? like will the ep still produce hcg even if it happened a while ago and is causing pain now?
thanks, and I am also getting a reccomendation for a new therapist and anxiety medication:)

Posts: 90 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When is your appointment?

Your doctor will be able to answer your questions with specific relevance to your condition.

HCG is present during any pregnancy.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hello kitteh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay:) also, when my doctor asks me how far along I would be hypothetically, if I had sexual activity 12 weeks ago, how many weeks "pregnant" would I be?
Posts: 90 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you give your doctor that information they can figure it out from there. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

I know I just accidentally told her the wrong dates, plus I've always wondered how you figure it out out of curiosity. [Smile]
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Pregnancy is considered to start about a week after the sexual encounter, but there's some give and take in that. Better to leave the calculations to the medical professionals.

When is your appointment? I imagine you'll feel much more settled when you find out what is going on with this pain.

--------------------
Robin

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

My appointment is today. just for an abdominal ultrasound. will that give me any information to rule out a pregnancy?
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

That would be a good question to ask your doctor.

It depends on what area they're looking at with the ultrasound equipment.

--------------------
Robin

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

I wont be able to see my doctor today, just an ultrasound technician. should I tell him or her that I am concerned about pregnancy so they can look?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An ultrasound technician is absolutely capable of answering these questions. You can certainly tell them your concerns, though what they will be using the ultrasound for isn't really something you can determine, they do.

Regardless, though, you really don't need to ask us what's okay to ask them. In other words, just like you clearly feel free here to ask whatever the questions are that you have, the same should be the case with anyone involved in your healthcare, from clinicians to billing people to doctors or nurses.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67219 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

the reason I was hesitant about asking is because my dad is always with me, and I don't want him to know about this. I guess I was hoping I wouldn't have to mention it and they would tell me if something wasn't right, but I guess they may not know what to look for if I don't say anything.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, given your age, a parent being with you in an exam room is actually something that should probably stop happening unless you want them there anyway, and healthcare providers should be asking what you want.

So, you always have the option of asking to be in exam rooms without your parent.

At the same time, given how persistent your worries have been with this, letting other people in your life in on what's going on is probably a very good idea.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67219 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Yeah, my mom knows everything, but my dad doesn't, and my mom doesn't really live with us so I have to call her and keep her updated. I also don't have a car yet so I rely on him for rides, plus he likes to be really involved. It's kinda hard to deal with.
Heather
Member # 3

What you can do is call into your provider' office before you go and have them make a note to please ask your Dad to wait in the waiting room while you are examined.

Like I said, with someone your age, providers should be asking him to do that regardless unless you're asking him to come with, but if they're not, you can take charge of this this way. Of course, you can also ask him to give you privacy in exam rooms yourself, too.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

okay thank you:) I went into the exam without my dad and she said I looked fine. but I have a random question, I've been having weird light brown, dark brown, pink, and red spotting and its usually like mucous consistency (gross, sorry). is that normal on extended cycle bc?
Heather
Member # 3

I'm earnestly perplexed that you were just at a health exam where you had privacy and didn't ask your healthcare provider these questions. Can you clue me in?

If you have been having brown or pink discharge that isn't typical for you and it's lasted more than a few days and isn't happening during or just after your withdrawal bleed, that is something to check in with your provider about, especially if you're not up-to-date with your STI and other sexual healthcare screenings.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

I know, I should have. I was just not thinking about it until just now, just because I always heard weird spotting was normal on extended cycle birth control.
Heather
Member # 3

You know, something that can be really helpful before going in for healthcare is to write all of your questions down in advance. Some folks get anxious or flustered when getting care, which can make it hard for them to remember all they want to ask, and having a running list can cover that base easily.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Yes, I'll do that from now on. Also, I've been having lumpy tender spots in my abdomen and it seems like it's become firm under my layer of fat. My doctor says it's irritable bowel. is that true, or is this a pregnancy symptom?
Heather
Member # 3

No one can diagnose someone over the internet, nor confirm what a doctor has diagnosed in person. Again, this is a conversation to have with your healthcare provider, and if you feel you need a second opinion, then you'd need to see another provider in person for that.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

okay thank you:) heather, quick question. what would you say the viability of precum is once it has even passed through one layer of underwear?
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

sorry, question. I took a quantitative hcg test today, and i know you can occasionally get false positives. I'm worried this could happen to me. I know the risk of false positives increase with older women, as hcg is naturally higher. but what are the chances of me getting a false positive at 18 years old? I don't want to freak out for nothing.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No medical test is 100% accurate, but the chances of a false positive in any kind of pregnancy test are very, very low.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5668 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

One further thing: HCG is only present in pregnant women, so I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say that HCG is naturally higher in older women.

Did you have this test done at your doctor's office? Since you're seeing a doctor to figure out your where your pain is coming from, it's really important for you to ask them all of these questions and express your concerns.

And in answer to your question above: There is no sperm viability if pre-ejaculate has to make its way through even one layer of fabric.

--------------------
Robin

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Actually, if you read various sites about hcg, you can see that in blood test, 0-5 is natural, 5-25 is equivocal, and anything about 25 is for sure pregnant. People have a very small amount of the HCG hormone naturally.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Thank you for the heads-up.

Have you had a chance to discuss your concerns about your test results with your doctor?

--------------------
Robin

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

I'm currently trying to get ahold of them, but as of yet, hey said they will call me when they get the results. I just called and asked for results that were supposed to be available yesterday but they said they didn't know anything yet. When they call I'll ask about it. I'm just knowing it will be my luck to get some kind of "maybe" test that will drive me into an anxiety attack or something.
Heather
Member # 3

Well, regardless, I think for now that what needs to happen is for you to just wait for those results. Until then, I think we need to set a limit on continuing this conversation further, please. Thanks. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Okay, sorry guys. I have a question, and it may be irrational. But I recently have been rubbing my boyfriends tummy because he likes it, either as general affection or while making out. But I just realized, what if somehow precum or ejaculate got on his underwear that show a little above his pants? I know I've gone over them with my fingers. Or what if it somehow got on his stomach? I didn't wash my hands after this before touching myself on multiple occasions because I thought it was safe, but is it?
hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

also, when you guys say "viable risk" what does that mean?
Heather
Member # 3

We mean a level of risk that's actually a risk.

In other words, when a risk seems at all likely.

And in terms of your question, can you please review these pieces? They make the answer really clear.

• Pregnancy Scared?
• Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Those did reassure me alot, thanks:) One thing, woud 19 days past a risk be enough to get a for sure positive on a quantitative blood test? I don't think I've had a risk but I had one 19 days after just to ease my mind.
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

What did the articles say about length of time after a risk and pregnancy testing?

I know we've discussed testing before.

A big part of sex ed is learning the information that is going to help keep us safe and aware for our whole lives. This is an question we've already gone through, so how about if you give us your best guess as to the answer then we can talk about whether that's correct or not. Okay? [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

hello kitteh
Activist
Member # 95624

Okay [Smile] well I read two weeks after a risk, but I didn't know if that applied to blood tests. I read they are much more accurate but I didn't know if 19 days was something I could really trust. Or if 14 days after with a quantitative blood test was even reliable.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.