Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Too many pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Too many pills
SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SailorTsukino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On saturday night i had alot to drink and accidently ended up taking 3 of my contraceptive pills (i know.....) this was on the first day of a new pill packet. I was sick the next day but this had been after around 10 hours.
The next night my boyfriend and i had sex, we used a condom but it split right at the end, so i got the morning after pill on monday morning just to be sure, however, where does that leave me now? do i keep taking pills for the rest of the month? am i still protected? Do i need to use another method for a while? bearing in mind ive lost alot of faith in the condoms... (i have a backup packet of pills so im still able to take pills every day for the rest of the month)

Posts: 54 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, taking MORE pills than you should have did not reduce your effectiveness, so there was no need for the MAP. In fact, I'd have advised against it just because you already took more hormones than you needed to, so adding even more just is something you want to try to avoid. But, that's done now, so.

So, what you want to do is stay on your normal pill schedule for the rest of the cycle, and you'll have two missing pills then, you'll need to borrow from your other pack because of this mishap.

Condoms shouldn't be breaking or splitting, btw. That's actually very rare, and usually happens because of user issues, like not storing them properly, not putting them on right, or not using lube as needed. happy to talk with you to troubleshoot condom use so you can use them without having them break.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SailorTsukino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah the doctor had just said it couldn't hurt to take it, ive been on the pill for a while now, so i havent had any adverse reactions to the levell of hormones as of yet, so heres hoping there wont be any!
As far as the condom went, i have NO idea what happened, because we've used condoms before and everythings been fine, although the fit on this particular one was honestly a bit snug, it was a different brand to the ones we use normally, so maybe we will go back to those, i can assume then that im still protected for this cycle provided i take the rest of my pills correctly?

Posts: 54 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, taking extra pills does not compromise your effectiveness, so so long as you take the rest of this cycle correctly, I see no reason why your pill would be any less effective.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.