Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » IUD Mirena

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IUD Mirena
ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ILoveYouBaby19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi im 18 yrs old and have 1 son i have had the mirena for about 3 yrs now and i have been having preg. symptoms, ive taken a HPT 2 in fact and i have had a blood test before but i havent done so recently. my breasts are tender i am gaining weight im always tired but cant sleep at night, also my mood swings are crazy. im worried could i be pregnant? i can still feel my strings btw.

--------------------
I believe in the compelling power of love. I do not understand it. I believe it to be the most fragrant blossom of all this thorny existence. Theodore Dreiser

Posts: 30 | From: Marion,Ohio | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Mirena is one of the most effective forms of contraception there is, and it seems clear yours is still in.

These symptoms you have been having, how long have you had them all for now? And have you already ruled pregnancy out with a test if that's your concern?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILoveYouBaby19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my tests came out negative but i havent had a test in forever. but im also worried that it could be aborting it as well? i got the symptoms somtime last yer about the middle but it went away and i strted spotting. it stopped after a couple days. now its back.

--------------------
I believe in the compelling power of love. I do not understand it. I believe it to be the most fragrant blossom of all this thorny existence. Theodore Dreiser

Posts: 30 | From: Marion,Ohio | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILoveYouBaby19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also i just cant lose weight ive tried dietary pills working out eating less cutting out things that contain alot of sugars and im not sure if its because of my IUD or from the reason for my post being pregnant?

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean you have had these symptoms that are troubling you for months, at a minimum, if not since last summer? have you yet seen any healthcare provider about them?

Weight loss isn't a simple issue, it's quite complicated for most people, especially once past childhood and the teens. I'm not sure if your weight is a health issue for you or not (IOW, that you're not at a healthy weight), but this is one more thing to discuss with a healthcare provider.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

i have discussed the weight thing with my provider but the only thing they want to do is remove it, i have the IUD because im not good with remembering to take things on time. i dont want to remove it, also ive said something to my regular dr about eing preg but she says i shouldnt worry thet are like 99.9% but still if thats the case why am i having these symptoms?

--------------------

ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

and when i first started the symptoms i had them for about 2 months, now its going on like 3 or 4 and when i was pregnant with my son i didnt know until 2 an a half months, even with HPTs

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

I'm confused: when discussing issues with your weight with your doctor, they said they wanted to remove your IUD? Because of your weight? Did they explain why? (Since that strikes me as very odd.)

As well, did your doctor evaluate these symptoms you have been having at all? If so, what did they say about them?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

no they didnt say why about any of it and she said this after i got a blood test the first time. since then i havent said anything to them about my symptoms. i feel as though im being pushed to the side and my problems being ignored. im not sure what to do and i know someone who is on this site so they told me to go here and see if you guys can help me.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

The trouble is that it seems you're asking for things that really, only a healthcare provider can provide. For instance, diet pills are actually pretty dangerous and also rarely effective: before taking those or even starting any kind of diet, it's best to talk with a healthcare provider.

Am I getting that you don't feel like the provider you see does a good job addressing your health concerns? If so, can you switch to a different provider?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

no many doctors (at i know of) where i live accept medical cards. otherwise i would and ive been going to this dr since i was young.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

I'm heading out for the day tomorrow, but I'd be happy to help you with this tomorrow if you'd like.

Are you already using public health clinics? Just want to check that first, since if not, that might be your next best step.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

im not sure what you mean?

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

You've said that you have trouble finding healthcare providers who take medical cards, so it sounds to me like you're seeing a private doctor, versus trying a public health clinic.

If so, that may have something to do with what sounds like discrimination you're facing in the quality of your care. Public health clinics exist to expressly serve people without private insurance, so that discrimination is far less frequent at those clinics.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

oh ok yeah thats what it is i think. both places are privet dr my obgyn isnt even taking ppl with medical anymore but since im already a client he will still take mine, so i cant leave there.

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Well, do you want me to help you look into other sexual/reproductive health clinics where you could also get OB/GYN care with more attentiveness?

It's not like trying out another OB/GYN at a clinic means you can't go back to this doctor if they don't serve you better.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

yes please that would be very helpful.

--------------------

ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

also i know that HPT arent accurate with me since when i was pregnant with my son i took 4 tests in 2 months and they all came out negative and i even had a period the first month, when my period didnt come the next month i took another and finally got a positive. so thats also bothering me. im worried that if i am when i take HPTs they are doing the same thing and by the time im getting to my dr for a blood test the mirena has possibly aborted any form of the fetus,

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

IUds don't have the ability to terminate pregnancies. They can be used as emergency contraception to prevent pregnancies, but they cannot terminate them.

It's entirely possible -- and very likely -- you took those tests incorrectly or that the timing was off or different than you thought. HPTs "just not working for some people" just really isn't a thing: HPTs (just like clinical tests, which are the same kind of tests) test for a hormone pregnancy creates, in everyone who is pregnant.

But let's see about finding you a provider, okay? I'll poke around today using the town you have listed here and see what we can find.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

ok thank you

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

You got it. I have an email in to one nearby health center who looked great but wasn't clear about if they accepted medical cards, so I just tossed them an email to ask to save you the trouble. Will give a shout when I hear back.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

ok thank you for all the help you have given me! this really helps me alot!! [Smile]

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

I'm still not hearing back from them yet, but if you want to take a peek yourself or ring them up instead of waiting, here's where I was looking: http://www.marionwomenshealthcenter.com/contact-us.php

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

ill also take a look.

--------------------

ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

it looks like its actually in the same area as my OBGYN (Dr.Foulk)

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

I still haven't heard back from them, unfortunately. I could certainly ring their office myself and ask over the phone, though, if you can't do that.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

i also have a problem. i dont live with my mother and my father is in prison so i cant do this......
"If you are under the age of 21, you must bring valid insurance cards for both of your parents, even if you have your own insurance." as i am only 18 and live with my boyfriend. and i have little to no contact with my mother as well

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

That'd certainly be something we'd want to ask them about then. Sounds like you have some specifics here you're going to know about more than me, so how about you call, ask about the medical card first, and if they take that, then ask about this issue?

(I'm really sorry to hear about your parents, btw.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Also, as another option -- where your medical card absolutely would cover you and this issue w/your parents would not be an issue -- Planned Parenthood has a couple clinic locations that look fairly close: the Galion and Delaware locations don't look to be that far from you: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/central-ohio/

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

sorry it took me so long. im not sure if i would be able to make it to there. see my boyfriend only has driving privelages and i dont drive. and im not sure of anyone who could take me. can we try something more local? and i shall call them tomorrow. ive been chasing a 2 yr old around all day lol.

--------------------

ILoveYouBaby19
Neophyte
Member # 94747

i am free today so i can talk

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.