Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » The Pill + Antibiotics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Pill + Antibiotics
Amy A
Neophyte
Member # 40137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few questions.

1) How much do antibiotics affect the pill? My doctor prescribed me some tetracyclines, which I know decrease the effectiveness of the pill. I just can't find out how much anywhere (and the pharmacy wasn't helpful).

I don't feel comfortable relying on just condoms, but I would feel better knowing the pill is still somewhat working.

2) Would it be worth using spermicide while I'm taking the antibiotics too?

3) My boyfriend is really bad about remembering to hold the base of the condom when he withdraws. I'll remind him again, but I'm not really sure what holding the base involves. Are you supposed to make a seal with your hand so that nothing runs out? Or just hold it with a finger or two to stop it from slipping?

Posts: 23 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Antibiotics do not render the pill completely ineffective. By all accounts, you should still be protected pretty well, just not quite at the level you usually are. But, we cannot give you an exact percentage.

If you're not comfortable with this lowered protection, you also have the option of simply not engaging in the kind of activities that can pose a pregnancy risk. You'll only be taking the antibiotic for a limited amount of time, and once you start the next pack of pills, you can rely on the full level of protection again.

As far as withdrawing goes, it's really about making sure that the condom stays put and doesn't slip off.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.