Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » My girlfriend is suppose to be in college but.. !!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My girlfriend is suppose to be in college but.. !!
xxKristii17
Activist
Member # 62155

Icon 9 posted      Profile for xxKristii17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The school she used to attend messed up her transcript and lost an English credit she had, now after finishing Canadian history (a class she failed), she may have to do English all over again which means I, 18, will be graduated before her. I told her they should have her credit history in their computers or whatever they use, but I don't know.. things are just so messed up. [Frown]

Should I stay with her? I really don't know. This is my first relationship and I've never dealt with anything like this; it is so stressing for me. We both planned to have a house together, but I can't see that happening now.. I don't know what to do. Worst of all, I'm scared that I may not be able to support myself, let alone my girlfriend ($22, 000 to $75, 000 in graphic design).

--------------------
I love you Steph. <3

Posts: 53 | From: Halifax | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's very uncommon for people so young to be able to buy a house anywhere near that age unless they are independently wealthy. So, I seriously doubt that this hiccup -- or the lack of it -- is going to make any big impact with that. I also very much doubt that unless either of you has a very large savings account already that the purchase of a house would be something you could do even remotely soon, as in, within the next few years. (But maybe you're thinking about a rental?)

As well, transcript foibles happen all the time and are usually resolved.

I'm not sure I understand why you're worrying about supporting yourself financially -- or her -- with this, nor why you're thinking about a split when she could be having either a momentary snafu that will be resolved, or have to repeat a class. Those seem like pretty small and sudden things to me to see a whole relationship hinging on.

Am I missing something? have you otherwise been considering sticking together or splitting up?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xxKristii17
Activist
Member # 62155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xxKristii17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to stay with her, I really do.

Am I overeacting to this situation? I never had anything like this happen before, it's all new to me.

We never planned to buy a house this young. My girlfriend is wanting to work as a welder and said that by the time I'm done college, she would've collected enough money for a house.

Does this really change anything? I mean who knows, because of this mistake, we might be able to even go to the same college with each other. Always think positive, right? .. I want to marry this woman, otherwise I wouldn't have made love with her (we are lesbians).

--------------------
I love you Steph. <3

Posts: 53 | From: Halifax | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly? I'm not a financial planner, but it's still VERY unlikely in this economy for people just out of college to be able to buy a house. (And from people who are financial planners, the typical advice over the last couple of years is that buying one now is probably a good way to lose your shirt, regardless.)

Paperwork with schooling gets lost or misplaced or fumbled very often.

So, I do think that unless you have other reasons you're considering a split, considering one over what could very well be a momentary snafu is a pretty serious leap. So, I think, is thinking about things like your whole big future based on this one thing. It sounds like you might also be thinking about plans that are very far in advance before it's sound to really focus on them in reality.

[ 06-15-2011, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.