Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Masturbation Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Masturbation Question
feministgirl
Neophyte
Member # 66055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feministgirl         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a teenage girl and recently I saw this thing that said on average, women masturbate 4.7 times a month.
I masturbate 1 time about everyday, which is a lot more than average. Am I messed up/addicted?
I do not constantly think about it, and once I do it once I'm pretty much done. I'm pretty hormonal, and it destresses me. Should I stop? Am I weird?

[ 05-25-2011, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: feministgirl ]

Posts: 1 | From: USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you happen to have a link to what you were looking at? I ask because so often, something listed as "average" often isn't, it's just average for a very small group in very specific conditions (like by age or a given location, etc.).

But even when an average is really average, average doesn't mean normal, it's just a mathematical mean where there are always going to be a LOT of people both above and below it.

As well, I don't know what you mean by being "hormonal," but our desire for any kind of sex, including masturbation, is about much, much more than sex hormones or other kinds of neurochemicals. Those things are actually smaller influences than some other common factors.

So, here's what you need to know: people's sex and masturbation frequency varies a lot, both from person to person, and then, over a lifetime for any one person. What you just need to figure out is if how often you're masturbating feels right to you. If you feel good about it and it's not keeping you from other things you want and need to do in your life, then no worries.

How do you feel about it?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67219 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
turtle_lady
Activist
Member # 64098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for turtle_lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it really does depend on how old you are and where you are at in life. I remember being 10 yrs old and masturbating maybe twice a week. I am now 23 and I masturbate, on average, maybe once or twice every other month. It doesn't appeal all that much to me but it depends on what's going, what time it's at and how old you are...you're definitely not weird hun, but if it becomes too much so that you are planning times working around your life to be alone with yourself to masturbate, then I would call that an addiction. If you think it is too much, then it may just be too much but if you feel okay about it, then it can't be so bad as long as it's not interfereing with the rest of your life.

--------------------
~Kayla Christine~

Posts: 51 | From: Ontario | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mia*
Neophyte
Member # 66334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used to masturbate like once or twice a month.lately its been everyday or every 2nd day .i think people just go through phases,theres nothing wrong with it unless it starts getting in the way of stuff . Im a teen girl too . So ur not the only one .
Theres alot a guilt round it for us girls when there shouldnt be. Knowing your body is a good thing [Smile] But yeah i feel kinda weird bout it too just coz girls dont talk bout it.

--------------------
'if the love of power became the power of love life would be sweet'

Posts: 30 | From: newzealand | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This area of the boards is for volunteer and staff replies only. We'll see you around the rest of the boards!

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.