Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth control and period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control and period
CorvusWolf
Neophyte
Member # 47380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CorvusWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started birth control three weeks ago...and i'm on my placebo week. When am I supposed to have my period?? I found information about my birth control saying that I'm supposed to start about 21 days after I start the birth control... I took a pregnancy test a few days ago and it came out negative. The last time I had sex was about six weeks ago so I'm very sure that the test wasn't taken too early... but i've been concerned because I've been having some awful pain in my abdomen for a little longer than a week. Should I be worried?? When should I start my period/withdrawal bleeding??

--------------------
ಠ_ಠ O RLY?
ಠ_ರೃ I SAY!

Posts: 33 | From: LOLWUT | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, it's difficult to say. When starting bc, the hormones can sometimes throw our schedules off from what they should be. So it should come when you get to the placebo week, but it may not. The test can be trusted, sometimes schedules just are thrown off as the body gets used to the hormone changes. However, the abdominal pain is absolutely something you want to bring up to your doctor.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3428 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CorvusWolf
Neophyte
Member # 47380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CorvusWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks...the pain is sort of like the pain I get whenever I start my period, but it's really sharp and lasts only a few minutes and it goes away completely...it's been getting so much worse and at one point I started crying out for my mom to help me just get up from where I was laying... and I get a lot of sharp shooting vaginal pain too... but at least I'm getting over my nausea and I'm getting some of my appetite back. I'll try to talk to my doctor about it all. thanks again!

--------------------
ಠ_ಠ O RLY?
ಠ_ರೃ I SAY!

Posts: 33 | From: LOLWUT | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the pain gets severe like that again, you need to go to an ER. Otherwise, make sure to call the doc in the AM and let them know how bad it is, they'll likely get you in that day.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3428 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.