Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » major relationship crisis!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: major relationship crisis!
hellohellogia
Neophyte
Member # 46495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellohellogia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to get some expert opinions on the following, please! My boyfriend of 2 1/2 years and I pretty much share a computer...so yesterday I guess he left his email account logged in and when I opened the laptop the first thing that screamed at me was an email (in his spam folder) from a dating site. I didn't think anything of it, because it was spam, but I noticed there were lots of them, from different sites. Some he had actually read. I know I shouldn't have looked, and I swear I'm not a nosy person, but I felt that if my boyfriend had something like that on his email account I had some right for curiosity. When I closed that window, there was one message that he left opened, titled "the kind of life I want". I wasn't sure if he left it open accidentally, because it was a message he sent from his phone to his email account. So I read it, I know I should have closed it, but I read it. The email, for the most part was about how he feels like he's going downwards and he's about to go down a very bad road. He says he feels like he could never keep me happy or that he can't be himself around me. He then started mentioning things he wishes I did for him. Yes, it was heartbreaking because this entire time I thought our relationship was going great. Now my problem is, I need to talk to him about it, but how? I love him and I know he loves me. On one hand I'm so hurt and angry about those online dating emails, but on the other hand I feel like this is all my fault for not being more aware of what he needs. I also feel like, I always communicate everything with him, and he should have told me if he felt all things about me. Lastly, I feel like no matter what we try to do this relationship is pretty much over. We've tried and tried to make things, not perfect, but amazing, and I suppose it just isn't going to happen. I'm willing to meet him halfway and make the necessary changes, but I'm lost. I had to vent and I needed some outside opinions. Feel free to give me whatever opinions you have good or bad, im prepared for whatever. Thank you!

--------------------
Gia

Posts: 33 | From: los angeles, ca | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brittanycookie
Activist
Member # 47565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brittanycookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sine no one seemed to have answered you, I would like to say, as going through something VERY similar to this. I'd ask him just randomly, is there anything He'd like you to do differently, or to do at all. Then I'd bring up how when you were on the computer the message popped up and you read it. Not really knowing. He might tell you flat out and then he might not.
But about the dating website, I would just ask him about it. If hes got nothing to hide then their shouldn't be anything wrong, as my mother always said. lol

Posts: 78 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hellohellogia
Neophyte
Member # 46495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hellohellogia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for replying [Smile]
Well I did talk to him and asked him if there's anything he'd like to talk about, just to "clear the air" and it turned out he did...obviously! We had a LONG talk, and although it's only been about a week things have been REMARKABLY different. Thanks again for taking your time to reply! [Smile]

Posts: 33 | From: los angeles, ca | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brittanycookie
Activist
Member # 47565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brittanycookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problem! [Smile] Ive been in something kinda close to what happened, all i had to do was work up the cu rig to ask!
Posts: 78 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brittany- this area is for staff and volunteer replies only. Please do not reply to threads other than your own in the Emergencies and Crises or Ask Scarleteen sections.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brittanycookie
Activist
Member # 47565

Well nobody answered her, she deserved to have an answer. And I didn't do any harm. And what I said had already been used. I don't see the harm. And it's not like it was a medical question. It's something anyone could have answered.
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brittany - this site has certain rules and regulations that we've put into place to make sure that we can run it as efficiently as possible. One of those rules is that we have an area that is for staff and volunteer replies only, and that's regardless of the nature of the question, or whether it's taken us a while to get to a given user. We have to ask you to please respect those rules.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9187 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hellohellogia: Even though you asked for advice in the staff/volunteer-only section, and the user who answered here should not have per our guidelines, it sounds like this situation is resolved for now.

If it isn't, and you still want input from staff/volunteers, let us know. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68255 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.