Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Herpes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herpes
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been known to get cold sores, pretty much all my life. Lately I have been introduced to the fact you can get herpes in your eye as well. I am wondering how common that is to catch?? Is it really that easy to spread herpes? And how easy is it to spread from unwashed hands that may touch in or around your eye? Not RIGHT after touching a sore but after a few minutes time.

Basically my boyfriend may have grazed a cold sore I had and without thinking, a few minutes later we were rough housing and his hand touched my eye. I know it's a paranoid thought, but I also know you can go blind from this type of thing.

How long does the herpes virus live on your skin, away from the actual sore? Let's say on your hand after touching your mouth...??

And how easy it is to spread the virus if you had touched the sore and then touched other areas of your body with that hand without washing, minutes or hours after the fact?

I want to be careful to not get it in my eye, I wash ALL the time but I'm more so concerned with the encounters I miss or for example, an incident like the one with my boyfriend happening again.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.