Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Mirena concern?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mirena concern?
Dxwn
Activist
Member # 31228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dxwn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tomorrow I've had my mirena for two weeks. I started bleeding a few days ago, even though I'm on the active pills still. However, What is concerning me is that when I initially started bleeding, my strings were pretty soft, but I could feel the strings poking out of my cervix. I can still feel them, and I think now I only feel one coming out of my cervix, and a partial string-thing(I couldn't reach all the way to see where the other one was going). But the string(s) have been moving around in my vagina, and poking me to the point that I have to fix them myself. They've always been long, but I think that they unhitched themselves from where the doctor put them, and now(when I fix them so they're not poking me), it comes to the entrance of my vagina. I haven't taken any pain meds, and I feel perfectly fine. I'm not really bleeding right now either. My check-up is on the 26th. Help!
Posts: 104 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard for me to visualize what's going on here, so why don't you just call the doctor who put it in for you tomorrow morning?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68164 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dxwn
Activist
Member # 31228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dxwn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I called the nurse the other day when I started bleeding. She said thay'd just have to cut them. But my problem is when I feel for them at my cervix, I feel one string and I can trace it down to the opening of my vagina. the other, I can feel it, and it pokes my finger like the other, but I can't trace the rest back down. I'm not in any pain, and I'm not bleeding all that much. The strings just keep moving around and poking me, and I was wondering if theres anything that I can do to help that until my next appointment.

I can't speak to my doctor; I got it through PPH, and they only have the 866 number to call for my county.

Posts: 104 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dxwn, first, you're aware that spotting is a very common side effect the first six months after insertion? I, too, am a bit confused by your description but I can say that the position of the IUD/length of strings can change over time. Also, I was told -- and experienced -- that it can feel like there's just one string when it's actually the two very close to each other.

You actually *can* speak to your doctor: just call the office and leave a message. They're supposed to be there for you after treatment, too. If you can't call directly, do so through the 1-866 Planned Parenthood number. Describe your situation to the person making appointments, and take it from there. Regardless, as much as we'd like to help you, an in-person medical professional is going to be your best bet here. [Smile]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dxwn
Activist
Member # 31228

Yeah, I'm not really all that concerned about the bleeding, as much as how much and often they poke me, and it HURTS. Is there anything that I can do to help this until I get to my checkup on the 26th?
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think the one thing you can do is call that number and see what a medical professional would recommend as well as if you can be seen earlier. Otherwise, it's really outside our scope here since we can't examine and diagnose you over the internet-- sorry! Because you said the doctor and nurse were so helpful before, I'm sure they'd be glad to help you out now as best they can. [Smile]
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.