Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Herpes Virus

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herpes Virus
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So ever since I was little, I've been getting cold sores. Not the genital kind! I was just curious as to how long this virus lasts outside the body?

The reason I ask is because just the other day, I found out you could get herpes in your eyes.. a no brainer I guess but I think that's the last place I would want to get it! I've always been very careful not to really tough my eyes and I wash my hands often.. However in my purse i have a little bag that i keep my zovirax (cold sore applicant) and this cream for my eyes since they are suseptible to redness and what not.. I used both yesterday, I have a coldsore aaand my eyes were red. I use the eye cream before the zovirax just to be safe but then this morning it hit me, I'm putting these too prescriptions side by side in my purse.

If I used my eye cream this morning, is there any chance of me contracting the herpes virus in my eye? Since I don't know how long the virus lasts outside the body.. I'm assuming if it does last a long time I'm probably at risk from the two prescriptions touching (since I touch them with my hands when applying, some residue may be left on the applicant).

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you wash your hands before using the eye cream?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I did. I always do. But I started freaking out that maybe it doesn't matter if I washed my hands before.. the last thing I touch before my eye is the applicant itself, like the prescription.. not just the ointment. I have to unscrew the lid etc, so would the herpes virus be left on there? Would it be able to survive? By chance, even if I didn't wash my hands, I definitely did not touch any sores before putting it in my eye. I was just curious to see if there was any risk here!
Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.