Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Period or Pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period or Pregnancy
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend is worried she may be pregnant so I figured I’d ask you guys some questions to help her out! First of all, she thinks she may be 9 weeks pregnant. She is on birth control however, I don’t know how well she takes it but I’m assuming she takes it like any other person.. every once in awhile there aren’t condoms, I know that much. Umm.. She got her period in February as normal, same day as usual for same length of time, etc.. and then the day before her period was supposed to come in March she took a pregnancy test and it came back negative.. the next day she got her period. She said that one was 5 days long and very heavy, heavier than usual but no pain or anything.. just a longer period i guess. She wants to take another pregnancy test on Wednesday although I don’t know what good that will do her??

If she were to take one Wednesday, if she was in fact 9 weeks pregnant (which would be from the date of her last period in FEB), would it for sure come back positive on a pregnancy test? I thought for sure it would be but I guess I don’t know..I mean she’d had two legit periods since but shes worried they weren’t actually periods.

If for some reason she was pregnant, she would get a abortion. In BC, how long is the wait to get in to get an abortion roughly..whether at an independant clinic or hospital.. if anyone knows.. and if she were to go in at like 10 weeks pregnant, would that be sufficient enough time to still get an abortion even though apparently you only have up until 12 weeks?? Or is it 14?

Wouldnt it be fairly obvious to know if you were THAT far along.. because it seems kind of weird to me that you wouldnt know you were that far along, like there'd be no signs.. and then you wouldnt have enough time to make the decision to get an abortion because it would be too late.. Does this actually happen to some women?

Thanks!

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you have bleeding that shows up when your period is due, and lasts roughly about as long as your regular period does, you can safely assume that it is, in fact, a period. And it is not possible to have a period and be pregnant.

The pill offers a very high level of protection, even with typical use. If your friend is also backing up with condom most of the time, then she is as protected as it gets. Does she have any reason to believe that both of those methods have failed?

But if your friend has had two regular withdrawal bleeds, and has had a negative pregnancy test, then she does not need to worry about pregnancy.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! No she just thinks she is because she's been sleeping alot and last month she said her boobs hurt for about two days which she hadnt experienced before. I think she still plans on taking a pregnancy test on Wednesday but I assume if that comes back negative that'd pretty much be her answer..?
Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep: the fact that she's had two regular withdrawal bleeds and a negative pregnancy test say that she's not pregnant, and she can absolutely go ahead and take a second test to confirm. Pregnancy tests are very accurate, so she can trust those results.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Okay thanks! Also, I just found out.. there's been one withdrawal bleed. She's worried that maybe she got pregnant back in February.. after February's period so the only one she's had since then would be the longer more heavier one in March. But I think it's safe to say she's not pregnant so i'll let her just take another test to make sure haha thankyou

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.