Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » 2 very different questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 very different questions
sarahmiller1989
Activist
Member # 44781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahmiller1989     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 2 questions and they're not related in any way.

1. Have you heard of the hCG diet? If I were to take the hCG drops would I get a positive result on a pregnancy test?

2. If I had intercourse a week before my period was due and my period came on time, that would mean I'm not pregnant, correct?

Posts: 48 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, hCG has not been approved by the FDA for use as a weight loss agent. Yes, it is approved as an infertility treatment, but not for weight loss use. That means that it hasn't been rigorously tested for this purpose and we don't know what the impacts on the body (short-term and long-term) might be. hCG also has a ton of potential side effects, some of which could be serious...blood clots, depression, headaches, swelling, breast tenderness, ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. Really, this does not sound like a good idea to me. Also, from what I've read, most of the peer-reviewed studies looking at the effectiveness of this "diet" appear to have found that women on the injections did not lose any more weight than did those on placebo.

In terms of pregnancy tests...if the level of hCG in your body was high enough to trigger a positive on a pregnancy test, then yes it would show positive. When your level dropped, you wouldn't get positives on tests anymore. Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

If you received your period when you expected it and it was approximately normal for you, then it was probably a normal period and you can take that as an indication that you are not pregnant.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.