Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » UTI

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UTI
Pintsize
Peer Educator-in-Training
Member # 43257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pintsize     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 15. I think I may have a urinary tract infection. I have an urge to urinate very often, very little urine comes out, and afterwards my vaginal area hurts. In fact, it has been having a sort of stinging feeling often. I also have a weird-smelling yellow secretion coming out - it smells kind of lemony but also nasty???

I recently started masturbating sort of often and I'm wondering if that could be it. When I was 12 or 13 I thought I might have one, and when discussing it with my dad (a doctor, though not an OB/GYN) told me it could be from masturbating too much... obviously I was shocked and told him that was inappropriate to say and all that - at the time I had touched my vulva a couple of times, and I was terrified that that might have caused it and he now knew and it was all very uncomfortable for me.

The thing is, I'm not sure if he was saying that as a doctor or as my dad. And I HAVE been masturbating lately... more exploratorily than for getting off purposes, as that doesn't happen.

So that was long-winded... I just want to know if it's possible that I have a UTI and if so, if I could have gotten it from masturbation.

Posts: 20 | From: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could definitely have a UTI, and getting in to get it treated (not by your father--it's pretty accepted that doctors should not treat family members).

As for how you got it, that's hard to say. You might have pushed some bacteria up there while masturbating, but you might also have spread bacteria by not wiping properly after going to the bathroom, or having underwear that spread bacteria, or all sorts of other reasons. It's impossible to know.

What you can do to prevent them in the future is to keep your hands clean when masturbating, urinate before and afterwards, and make sure that you wipe from front to back.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pintsize
Peer Educator-in-Training
Member # 43257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pintsize     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, thank you so much. I know my dad would never treat me unless he was the only one who could. I'm going to ask my mom to take me to a female gynecologist - not my pediatrician.

Thank you!

Posts: 20 | From: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.