Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » one more question about EC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: one more question about EC
she_who_questions
Activist
Member # 39778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for she_who_questions     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night I had sex with my partner and the condom broke. He had not yet ejaculated. (I am not currently taking regular bcp). About an hour afterward, I took the first pill in the Plan B pack. 12 hours later, I took the second pill.
I'm slightly unnerved because I was expecting to have terrible side effects from the medication, but everything seems pretty much okay... My abdomen feels a little weird and my stomach is slightly fussy, though nothing major.
Don't most people get relatively sick after taking Plan B? Is my experience normal? Is there any way to tell if the pills are working?
What do you think my chances of pregnancy are at this point (given that I took the pills correctly and so soon after)? How much will my cycle be affected (if I don't end up pregnant)? Thanks so much for any help.

Posts: 120 | From: Florida | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horizon
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 35890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horizon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone's body is different, so no, not everyone will experience some gut-wrenching sickness after taking EC. Your experience sounds normal to me.

As far as if the pills are working, a good indicator is bleeding. The pills will likely induce a sort of period, letting you know whether they have been effective. If you want numbers, taking EC in the time frame that you did, they have a 75%-89% chance of preventing pregnancy. Taking EC within the first three days after the risk is most effective.

Plan B has a huge dose of hormones, so given that they keep you from becoming pregnant, you can probably count on your menstrual cycle being off-whack for a month or two. And as always, if you have any doubts, a pregnancy test will be effective 10-14 days after the risk.

Let us know if you have any more questions [Smile]

--------------------
-Kayla
Scarleteen Volunteer

"A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses." -Hippocrates

Posts: 755 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
she_who_questions
Activist
Member # 39778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for she_who_questions     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for getting back to me about this. I haven't experienced any bleeding thus far, so once again I'm vaguely worried. However, I had just finished my period the day before I took the first EC pill. Could that be a reason why I haven't bled at all?
I did have some light colored discharge, but that's it.

Posts: 120 | From: Florida | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horizon
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 35890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horizon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that sounds like a possibility. Just to elaborate, EC doesn't always cause a woman to bleed immediately, but when it does, that bleeding is a result of the uterine lining being flushed out. When there is no lining, an egg can't thrive in it. EC also works to prevent pregnancy by preventing ovulation or preventing fertilization of the egg.

But because of where you are in your cycle, I wouldn't worry about bleeding just now. Take a pregnancy test once it has been 10-14 days after the incident.

[ 08-16-2009, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Horizon ]

--------------------
-Kayla
Scarleteen Volunteer

"A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses." -Hippocrates

Posts: 755 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.