Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » phantom pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: phantom pregnancy
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any information about this? When a woman isn't pregnant but experiences pregnancy symptoms.

I think I might be in the middle of one.

I missed my period this month. Before that my period was out of whack for about 3 months. I'm absolutely exhausted. Last month I was getting bad nausea. My stomach and breasts are definitely getting bigger, stomach especially. I'm also getting bad cramps and moodswings.

The thing is, I've had sex only twice in the past 6 months and both times we used protection that didn't fail. I've now taken 2 pregnancy tests, one about 4 days after my period was suppose to begin and one a week and a half later, and I'm fairly sure I used them correctly, and both came out negative.

But it's to the point where my mom asked if I'm pregnant. I've been expressing these concerns to my boyfriend and he referred me to this reference site:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200703/phantom-pregnancy

And it's true, I am terrified of pregnancy, and even moreso, I'm terrified of discovering I'm pregnant too late into the pregnancy to have an abortion.

I have an appointment with a gynecologist on Monday to ask about my missed period and yeast infection/uti-ish symptoms I've been having, but Monday seems so long away, I'm verging on panic attack. I'm just looking for some information about this condition, and if you have any suggestions for calming myself down until I can see the professional.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there was a response here earlier today, I guess it got deleted.

But in response to it, I'm fairly certain that I'm not pregnant, based on the lack of risk and negative tests, but my body is just acting like I am.

I don't know, I mean all the logical signs point to no but I'm still terrified. But like I said I have an appointment on Monday but man, it's going to be a loooong weekend.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(As you know, this is a volunteer only forum...so generally responses other than those by the OP & volunteers are deleted.)

Is it possible to be so worried about something that you essentially trick yourself into experiencing symptoms? Yes, and that is going to be true for any number of conditions. It's also possible that you may be watching your body more closely because of your concerns and are attributing things that could be related to any number of other conditions.

Pregnancy tests (when taken correctly) are quite accurate. So if you've had two negative tests, it's pretty certain that you are not pregnant.

What can we do to help you here? Would you like to talk about what is concerning you about the possibility of pregnancy so much or what steps you can take to prevent encounters that might make you worry?

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

I'm not really sure, I guess I just use this forum as a pillar of support when I'm stressed about these sorts of issues.

One thing you can tell me, from a factual standpoint: cramping. Even though my period is officially 2 weeks late, I've been having awful cramps ever since it was suppose to begin. Worse than normal period cramps for me, but not so bad that I can't function.

Is cramping a sign of a UTI or yeast infection, or is it from my MIA period?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are uterine cramps, specifically?

I ask that because there are ANY number of reasons for abdominal cramps.

But yes, a UTI can certainly cause abdominal pain, especially if severe or if it has spread to the bladder or kidneys. Do you have a fever at all?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.