Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » HPV --> Cervical Cancer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HPV --> Cervical Cancer
kamille
Activist
Member # 42270

Icon 5 posted      Profile for kamille         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine told a few friends and I that she has cervical cancer. I'm so confused and hurt for her. I have so many questions: How can you get it? How does it develop? How does it transmit? Can you transmit it on a toilet seat, in the swimming pool? Will she be okay? Why is the other partner not informing his sexual partners that he has this disease? Why?

She said that most people in the world will have HPV by the age of 35 because it can be transmitted through spit. Is this true? I'm worried, but also confused. She had to get a biopsy.

Posts: 125 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some basics on HPV for you:
• The STI Files: Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
• HPV & Herpes: Why Safer Sex Isn't Always Safe Enough
• The HPV Vaccine FAQ

But just to be clear, you cannot get HPV or most other STIs from toilet seats: pubic lice are the lone exception there. A swimming pool is also a non-concern.

As well, we don't have HPV testing for men yet. Unless she has informed him he has it, he likely doesn't know he does. if he does know and isn't telling people he does, then he's just being irresponsible.

HPV is also not transmitted through saliva: it's not a fluid-borne virus, but one transmitted from mucous membrane to mucous membrane (genital-to-genital or mouth-to-genital, usually).

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68164 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.