Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » just making sure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: just making sure
*a_dream_in_aqua*
Activist
Member # 40666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *a_dream_in_aqua*         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that you answer a ton of questions like this one, and I'm pretty sure that I'm at an incredibly low risk, but I like hearing it from you guys too!:
Saaturday night my boyfriend and I of a year and a half lost our virginities together. We used a condom, I've been on the Pill since August and I've been taking it as directed. My chances of pregnancy are slim right? I know that we are both clear for STI's because we've both been checked (and we were also virgins). Also, I made sure that I peed after we were finished. If I were to get a UTI, what are the sypmtoms and how early could those show up? I'm really not too worried, I just want to make sure. Thanks!

--------------------
Knowlege IS Power.

Posts: 60 | From: MA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're pregnancy risks aren't slim: they're nonexistent.

Proper pill use combined with proper condom use makes the likelihood of pregnancy virtually impossible. We're talking about risks so infinitely small that in the grand scheme of things, they aren't really risks at all. We just can't say "0 risk" because when you're sexually active, there is no such thing. Make sense?

So, you have no risks here, I promise.

As far as UTI's go, as long as you get them treated soon after noticing symptoms, they aren't of any serious harm. Symptoms include vaginal irritation, a burning sensation while urinating, feeling like you need to pee a lot or having that "urge" but nothing comes out, etc. It depends on the person, but most of the time, you'll notice a definite stinging sensation when urinating, and that tends to be the big tip-off.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*a_dream_in_aqua*
Activist
Member # 40666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *a_dream_in_aqua*         Edit/Delete Post 
alright, thankyou! I was pretty sure that I was alright, but it's good hearing it from you. I'm going to show this post to my boyfriend to ease his fears too. And it makes absolute sense why you can't say that there's a zero risk :-)

how soon could a UTI develop? just wondering. thanks again for all your help!

--------------------
Knowlege IS Power.

Posts: 60 | From: MA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most UTIs develop within a day or two after sexual activity, if that is the cause. Generally, though, as long as you're well hydrated and make sure to pee after sex, you should be fine.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.