Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Yeast infection?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast infection?
LollySocks
Activist
Member # 31077

Icon 9 posted      Profile for LollySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, for the past almost 2 weeks I've had vaginal itching, so much that I get cuts down there from scratching. And my discharge is kind of white and..er..curd-like? It burns when I pee sometimes.

What's the deal? Is it a yeast infection or something else? [Confused] What can I take to clear it up? Or will it clear up on its own?

Thanks.

--------------------
break down, rebuild, repeat.

Posts: 64 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you need to do, especially this late in the game, is to get to a healthcare provider and have this diagnosed. You really don't want to walk around with any kind of infection untreated for weeks.

You also don't want to do an over-the-counter yeast infection treatment for a couple reasons. For one, even if it is one, you may need a stranger treatment than that. Two, if it is NOT one, then a) you don't get the actual infection treated and it continues to get worse and may spread and b) you might wind up WITH a yeast infection from the treatment if that's not what you had.

So, make an appointment with your sexual healthcare provider. And next time, don't wait so long to do that.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LollySocks
Activist
Member # 31077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LollySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't actually think it's been 2 weeks, it just feels like it. It's been about a week. And I just feel uncomfortable with going to a male pediatrician (at 17 years old) to get my vagina looked at.

--------------------

Posts: 64 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then it seems like it's time for you to find a sexual healthcare provider you CAN see, and you are going to need to see someone.

Even if it is a yeast infection, you always want to be diagnosed first, for the reasons I mentioned. And with the symptoms being this bad, you're past do-it-yourselfing, especially since we don't even know for sure what this is.

So, you can either suck it up and see the doctor you have this time so you can get diagnosed and treated ASAP, or you can ask that doctor for a referral for you to another doctor OR utilize a clinic system like Planned Parenthood.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LollySocks
Activist
Member # 31077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LollySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Planned Parenthood free?

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

No, but if you are insured, your insurance may cover it. If you are not, then they have a sliding scale based on your own (not your parents) income.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

LollySocks
Activist
Member # 31077

I just would much rather not have my parents find out about it. So, if I make an appointment at PP, what should I expect exactly?

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Well, I hope you do know that women get yeast infections very commonly, including women who are not or even have never been sexually active. same with bacterial infections. So, if you're worried they'd presume or find out about any sexual activity, there's that.

In terms of what to expect for being looked at for an infection at PP or anywhere else, you'd basically be looking at a standard pelvic exam. You can find out about how those generally go here: Your First Gynecologist Visit. If you have been sexually active before and haven't had any tests for STIs and get those, that may also mean urine and blood tests.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

LollySocks
Activist
Member # 31077

Alright. Thank you so much, Heather. [Smile]

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

You're very welcome. I hope you can feel better soon!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Worried12
Neophyte
Member # 42111

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Worried12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, im not sure if this is where you post my message but i have an infection, i think, i get discharge but ive had it for a long time now (im talking years) because ive been too embarassed to tell anyone but i really want to know what it is. this discharge is white and clumpy and i get it non stop! im not itchy or burning but i think i was at one point a long time ago and i didnt know what it was from so i didnt do anything about it. is this a yeast infection or something else? i dont have a doctor and i dont know where to go about getting one for this matter. i dont want to tell anyone. please help!
Posts: 2 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Worried12
Neophyte
Member # 42111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Worried12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...ohh yeah and it has a fate smell, like yeast...
Posts: 2 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
curious18
Neophyte
Member # 42170

Icon 4 posted      Profile for curious18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, i've been going to the doctor regularly for check ups and everything, but maybe a couple of months ago i started itching down there and it started to hurt whenever i had sexual intercourse and now i have a rash on my butt leading to my vagina. i asked the doctor about it and had her to check me up to see if i had anything and everything came out negative and she told me that it could just be irritation, but i dont know about that. i do have eczema but i dont know if thats it...could you please help me on this [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
just womdering

Posts: 3 | From: birmingham | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.