Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » A couple of questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A couple of questions
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on the birthcontrol pill since last decemeber. I took alesse for awhile, but changed because I didn't like having such light periods. Then I was on Orthocyclen for 3 weeks, but went and got another pill from the clinic because it was making me incredibly depressed and volatile, and seriously nauseous. As per the doctor ordered, I took my new pill (min-ovral) for the remaining 6 days of that cycle, then took the 7 reminder pills and had my withdrawl bleed, and started a new cycle after that. I finished the active pills and I just took the third reminder pill last night. I usually get my withdrawl bleed around this time. It hasn't come yet, but I had cramps yesterday that were pretty bad (I have a history of incredibly painful cramps before, and just at the beginning of my period/withdrawl bleed)

My question is... Was I protected right away? The doctor didn't tell me anything when he prescribed them, just instructions to switch pills right away because I was having such severe side effects on the cyclen. I had intercourse without a condom about 2 or 3 times during this month, however NO ejaculation occured, or was even close to occurring.

I'm kind of stressing out a bit over this, even though I believe that my risk is probably pretty low. It's obvious that it's too late for EC at this point, and I will be taking a pregnancy test if my period does not come tonight, I'd just like a little reasurrance while I wait : )

On a completely different topic... I guess I need some advice to do with condoms. Recently we've discovered that it is infact the condoms themselves that have been making sex incredibly uncomfortable (I believe I posted about this before). We think it's probably a latex sensitivity or allergy because I also have issues with band-aids that aren't latex free. Anyways, the problem is that both brands of polyurethane condoms that are available in Canada (Trojan Supra and Durex Avanti) do not fit my partner at all. They're incredibly tight and uncomfortable for him, and almost impossible to get on. Unfortunately, Lifestyles SKYN condoms won't be available to try here until March (I emailed the company to ask, because we couldn't find them anywhere).

We've been thinking of trying condoms made from sheepskin, but have NO idea where to find them. STI's are not an issue, we've been tested and have been monogamous for over two years now. I was wondering if anyone knew a place here (Calgary, Canada) where they sell those kind of condoms?

Third on my list (sorry this is so lengthy): I was reading information about my current birthcontrol pill online, and they have a HUGE list of things that might interact with it. It's incredibly worrying, because among the list are things like caffiene, alcohol and acetaminophen. Obviously, these aren't things I consume daily (save for caffiene, once and a while. I've been having loads of pop over the holidays). Do they really interact that much? Or is it because they can cause stomach upset and vomitting? Should I be avoiding them?

Sorry this is so long! My questions are:
1. Did I really have that much of a risk?
2. Where can I find sheepskin condoms?
3. Do caffiene, alcohol and acetaminophen REALLY affect my birth control pill?

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll try to answer your questions in order:

1. You have no risks here. Assuming you switched over to the new brands of pills and continued as usual, with no late or missed pills, there is no risk there. Plus, your partner did not ejaculate during any of the sexual activity you took part in during that time. So you're in the clear.

2. You will probably have to special order the condoms you're looking for. Sheepskin condoms are actually made out of lamb intestine, and they tend to be pretty pricey (roughly 30 U.S dollars for a dozen). Search around Google for online stores that sell them; unless you go into a specialty sex shop, you won't find them around in other stores. Also, have you thought about female condoms at all? They are a good alternative if you're having trouble with male condom fit.

3. The things you listed don't interact with the way the pill works, persay. The only known drugs that do that are certain types of antibiotics and a small handful of herbal supplements. Alcohol, Acetaminophen and caffeine can all cause nausea, which can cause vomiting, which can be a problem if your pill hasn't been sufficiently absorbed into your system. The drug companies have to list them because if they aren't taken properly/safely/responsibly, they can lead to pill failure, but not directly.

So you don't have to avoid soda, beer or Tylenol like the plague [Smile] If they don't make you sick (obviously, alcohol levels need to be monitored) than there isn't anything to be worried about.

[ 01-04-2009, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: JamsessionVT ]

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for answering so soon!! The reassurance is nice, I feel so much better now.

Yeah, I figured that I'd probably have to order online (which isn't much of an option as I'm living at home) or go to a specialty shop. I'll probably go to a specialty shop with a friend of mine. We've been wanting to go since our birthday XD

I'm glad I don't have to avoid those things! I'm not much of a drinker, but it's the holidays and I've been enjoying my grapefruit coolers : )

Thanks again!!

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.