Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Long period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Long period
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question that is short of an emergency, but it is still worrying me.

So on average, my period (when Im not on BC) has a 33 day cycle and lasts about 4 days, with 2 heavy days and 2 light days. I stopped taking BC in July, and have had these normal periods since then.

But this month, I ended up having a 36 day cycle (not too bad, but those 3 days were unnerving), and I'm currently on my 7th day of bleeding. It is still new blood coming out, it hasn't started the very light post-period stage yet, which normally happens after 2 days of bleeding for me. Also, I'm still getting cramps, and all of my other period symptoms.

It isn't super heavy, infact, its definitely on the light side, but it is persisting for so long.

I'm wondering if anything could be wrong, what it might be, and when you would suggest I see a doctor if it persists.

(For the record, I haven't had a pregnancy or STD risk.)

[ 10-09-2008, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: pixeldot ]

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7 or a few more days can be normal especially considering it's on the light side and if you're not having huge clots or intense pain or anything.

Keep in mind, too, that your cycle can be totally wonky for 5 years after it starts - as well as the fact that you stopped taking hormonal birth control a few months ago and that can set it off too.

If it just goes on and on and on, and it's freaking you out and/or you're feeling icky in other ways it's always a plus to get a check up from a doctor. [Smile]

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.