Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » day before period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: day before period
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am on birth control and I had sex without a condom today, which is a day before my withdrawal bleed. I am taking the placebo pills.

He pulled out before he ejaculated, but some of his semen may have gotten on my labia. I am taking my pill correctly - I usually take it around 9 or 10 PM.. one night I got out of work late and took it at 12 am, but that does not count as late or missed, right? Anyway, I am wondering if this week of placebos is protected? I am very scared and bought pregnancy tests.

By the way -- I am considering going back to condoms simply because this stress is NOT worth it at all, so no need to suggest. [Smile] I suppose I wanted to see if I could handle it, but apparently not.

Posts: 250 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are just as protected during the placebo week as you are during the active pills. I know that can be tough to wrap one's head around, but if you consider that the timing of the placebos is effectively the same thing that happens, chemically, with a woman's natural fertility cycle during a period -- save that because you're going to restart the pill, you won't be fertile again right afterward -- it might make more sense.

How you've taken your pill does not count as late. You've done just fine.

(Good to hear from you, by the way. Besides this scare, how have you been?)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Heather, you are always so helpful.

I have been doing really well, actually. My boyfriend and I worked out the problems having to do with my previous relationship. I realize more and more every day I am better than what happened to me, and I honestly have a lot to thank you (and volunteers!) for. You guys were the only people I could confide in and relate to... I know for a fact there are SO many people out there who would tell me I owed it to my ex to have sex with him even if I didn't want to and to just deal with it. You know the kind of people I'm talking about.

I suppose my newest worry is the fact my boyfriend has had several partners before me, and I have had such little experience. I know it doesn't matter to him, it just intimidates me. I think a lot of people go through this feeling so I am sure I will overcome it.

By the way - I bought the pregnancy tests because I remember reading a bunch of posts where you say it is "10 dollars for a piece of mind" and YES you are right! I took a test this morning, showed up negative, and shortly after I got my period. Best thirteen dollars I have ever spent =]

Posts: 250 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.