Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » IUD and bleeding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IUD and bleeding
beehive
Neophyte
Member # 38767

Icon 11 posted      Profile for beehive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a copper IUD put in on February 20th, and I have been bleeding ever since. Sometimes it's like a period and sometimes just spotting, but it is getting a bit annoying and I would quite like to know if it's ever going to stop! I went back to the clinic about two months ago and they said it was still in place and I didn't have an infection. How long do you think it will take to settle down? When should I go back to the clinic? I really don't want it taken out because otherwise it's really convenient and I prefer non-hormonal contraception, but I'm not prepared to bleed non-stop for five years either. Please advise?
Posts: 12 | From: London, England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With copper IUDs there can be some irregular bleeding for the first few months, but this may be something you want to see your doctor about if it is quite heavy. You can always call up your doctor, too, and ask if you have any uncertainties or questions. Take a look at this thread where some of our users discuss their experiences with IUDs to see what you can expect. Understand, though, that different people can react differently to IUDs (or any type of birth control, for that matter).

There are a LOT of other birth control options out there, though, and I see from your other posts that you've had some difficulty with hormonal methods, so how about looking at other methods, maybe some nonhormonal ones? We have a great article if you are interested:
Birth Control Bingo!

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.