Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » embarrassing question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: embarrassing question...
gemmalynn
Neophyte
Member # 36841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemmalynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this isn't exactly sex-ed related, and i have a gyno appointment next month so i can ask then as well, but i'm wondering if anyone can help me in the meantime. i apologize in advance that this is probably waaaay too much information.

i was using a mirror to look at my vagina, and i noticed something strange with my anal region. right at the hole, there is, for lack of a better description, a "flap" of skin. it's small, and almost looks as if it is poking out but it is just sort of dangling. i did a bit of research online before posting, and i'm very certain that its not hemmroids, or a fissure or anything. its not painful, and its the same color as the surrounding skin.

can anyone possibly enlighten me as to what is wrong? thanks so much.

Posts: 2 | From: san antonio, tx | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be a skin tag, if it's skin colored. I have a few in my armpit where my bra rubs against my skin- they often form in the creases of the body. If that's what it is, it's easily removed via an in-office procedure similar to having a wart removed (ie, freezing it and cutting it off for example).

Otherwise, I have no idea what it may be- we can't really diagnose things over the net, especially since a) we aren't doctors and b) we can't see it ourselves. It's best to get it checked out by your doctor to make sure it's nothing serious.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemmalynn
Neophyte
Member # 36841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemmalynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you for the quick reply - is a skin tag dangerous? it's not causing discomfort, so if removal isn't important i probably wouldn't bother with it.
Posts: 2 | From: san antonio, tx | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, skin tags are not dangerous. Removal of skin tags is mostly for cosmetic reasons and not due to any health reasons.

Make sure you ask your doctor about it. S/he may not mention it if they see it as no cause for concern (which is great, but doesn't answer your questions as to what it is and where it came from!)

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.