Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control Pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Pills
reonz
Peer Educator-in-Training
Member # 35313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reonz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I was on the ring for three months, but I recently quit because for most of the second, and all of the third month, my vagina was really irritated, and I was incredibly moody. I'm not too sure the bc and the moodiness were related though.
The point is that I'm not willing to go with out some kind of birth control on top of condoms, at least in the long run.
I was wondering what the different types of bc pills were and how their effects differed.
The patch just seems less...reliable, and ideally I would love an IUD, something I don't have to deal with for five years.
But alas, I'm only seventeen, and I haven't had a child.
Thanks for your help!

Posts: 34 | From: United States | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How pills work is different progestin formulations. They all contains around the same estrogen dosage, so the bulk of side effect management lies in choosing a suitable progestin component, unlike the notion "low dose birth control" commercials lead one to believe!

Generally, you'll try one pill your doctor thinks might be good for you, use it for three months, and report any side effects you just can't deal with. Your doctor will then analyze where you need help and prescribe a different pill (for example, for low libido they might recommend a more highly androgenic pill -- one not marketed to treat acne -- or for bleeding problems either a pill with greater endometrial activity/higher estrogen content) for you to try instead. The cycle continues until you find one you do well with.

There is still a huge amount of outdated information in the minds of most physicians -- IUDs are safe to use in young women who haven't had babies, although they must be prepared for increased side effects or complications. For example, you would probably have a more difficult/painful insertion and more likely to have the device expel/have a more profound increase in menstrual cramping than a parous woman.

The copper-T (Paragard) is currently FDA approved for women who haven't had babies and lasts 10 years. The 5 year IUD you speak of, Mirena, has not, but most doctors willing to entertain an IUD insertion will likely let you choose whichever one you wish.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also have options like a diaphram, cervical cap, or Lea's Shield that you could use to back up your condoms as well if you want (or need) to avoid hormonal birth control options.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.