Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » First time and STI questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First time and STI questions
Stork
Neophyte
Member # 36306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My girlfriend and I have been together for just over three months now but we have known eachother since 6th grade. Neither of us have been with anyone (besides us as of now) even kissing. We are thinking about having sex for the first time soon and we would like to know the risks about STIs. We will of course be using protection and such (except for the pill because she is scared it will mess with her system). My question would be that even though there is protection and we have not been with anyone, is there a real risk for STIs? I've read the articles and I know that there is a risk that one of has something with no symptoms but the only prominent one I have heard of is oral herpes being transmitted. What other STIs could there be that pose a real risk? Thanks so much.

--------------------
For any clarification on my display name, its actually a short version of my football nickname: Stork of Death. Gotta love playing safety. =)

Posts: 2 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Welcome to Scarleteen ! [Smile] )

The risk of STIs for you both is just incredibly small since you two haven't been intimate with anyone else before.

There is a small risk for herpes though--which everyone can get given it's transmitted by non-sexual contact such as simply by kissing your grandma or any other person-- but that's mostly it. So yeah looks like you heard right. [Wink]

[ 01-02-2008, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since you'd be using condoms for pregnancy prevention anyways, as you've said that she doeosn't want to use hormonal birth control, you're already taking steps to cut down on your risk for STDs. Other than oral herpes, the only infections you could pass back and forth would be things like bacterial or yeast infections -- people can get those even when they're not being sexually active and then transmit them sexually.

Given what you've described, your risks for STD/STIs are pretty low, and using condoms (and gloves/dams, if necessary) help to cut that down even further.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stork
Neophyte
Member # 36306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the late reply but I just wanted to thank you guys for the input. I love the site and it really helps to figure out all of the truths before its too late. Once again, thanks!

--------------------
For any clarification on my display name, its actually a short version of my football nickname: Stork of Death. Gotta love playing safety. =)

Posts: 2 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.