Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » How Do I Tell My Parents?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Do I Tell My Parents?
Sore Throat
Neophyte
Member # 35705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sore Throat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I've established now that I am definitely a transgender male, but now I need to know how I should tell my parents this.

I just turned sixteen this past week and I'm a sophomore in high school.
Over the summer I thought and misread my confusion and discomfort but (obvious attraction to women)as being a lesbian. I finally got the courage to tell my parents that I was gay.

My mom tried to take it well, but I think over all she took it okay, but my dad was definitely fine with it. He said he just wanted me to be a good person.

I told my sister that I was a transgender male and she said that I shouldn't tell my parents because I had already caused enough drama as it was.

The thing is, even though I know nothing is going to happen now because I'm high school but I really wanted to start taking hormones as soon as I graduated high school and look into getting top surgery.
Every day it just seems to get worse and worse. I am so stressed and depressed, and some times I'll just start crying or getting angry for no real reason, and my emotions are just extremely bipolar because of all this distress.
I have gotten five hours of sleep in the last five days and I hadn't eaten anything since Friday evening, but I ate something earlier today.

Finally, I scheduled an appointment with my school counselor for tomorrow, so that I could tell her what I believed that I am. I was hoping that she could conduct the six week/month long sessions of therapy that is required before you can start taking hormones or anything so they can properly diagnose you with GID (gender identity disorder.)

The only thing is, I've been so stressed that she's going to say no. Our school counselor is a lesbian and I was afraid that she might say, "No, you're not transgender, you're a lesbian, you just need to love yourself and be okay with being gay." or something like that because one of my friends who is bisexual and has been going to the counselor has had the counselor try to convince her she is just lesbian and needs to admit it.
Maybe my friend was just making this up, I don't know.

But right now, this is the only hope I have.

The reason why I want to do this is so that if I come out as being diagnosed with GID, at least I'll have a paper, a form, properly filled out and evaluated by a psychiatrist and to give to my parents so it's more credible to them rather than just my word of mouth.
Something like transgender would just be so hard for them to believe, especially since they have no valid proof other than my word.

Anyway, my question is how should I tell my parents? Should I wait until I (possibly) get the diagnosis and tell them along with handing them the paper? Should I tell them a month before I graduate high school? Or should I tell them during the Summer after I graduate high school?
Or should I just go ahead and tell them right now?

Thanks,
Sore Throat.

--------------------
If you think you can you can, if you think you can't -- you're right.

Posts: 10 | From: Istanbul, not Constantinople | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashiya
Neophyte
Member # 35763

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashiya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! well this is what i think:
Well first off i dont know how many facts u have and know, and if u have many, u need to have your parents still down and listen to you all the way through, and not let them interupt before you are dont speaking, ik it doesnt seem as easy as it sounds, but i dont think there is a easy way out of this. and it IS a good idea to get it off your chest more sooner then later, because it will just build up over time and it will just get harder and harder to keep everything in. but i dont know your parents or how they deal with things, but this is what i would do. i hope this helps a smidge. .

--------------------
Live life to the fullest, laugh as much as u can, cry if u need to, and enjoy the people you love as long as forever.

Posts: 15 | From: troubled places | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Ashiya, this area is for staff and volunteer responses only. See you on the rest of the boards!]

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.