Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » birth control & natural lubrication

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birth control & natural lubrication
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 5 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on birth control for over a year now and I have noticed I definitely do not produce as much natural lubrication as I used to. The sex I had with my ex wasn't too great - he never tried to help me along with getting aroused, so I figured that was why; but now that I am not currently sexually active and just masturbating I have noticed this as well.

Can BC effect this? I've heard it can effect your sex drive (which it has not for me) but I was unsure about natural lubrication.

Posts: 250 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Birth control pills essentially halt the production of natural hormones and replace them with constant levels of synthetic versions. Too, one of the main functions of the pill is to thicken and acidify the cervical fluid, which mimics the "dry days" in the natural cycle.

Thus, many women have lower estrogen levels on the pill and may suffer from more frequent vaginal infections and dryness as a result.

[ 10-22-2007, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've had several bacterial vaginosis infections and one yeast infection since I have been on the pill. I don't know, I'm too scared to go off birth control, though. Eventually I will find another sexual partner and condoms just won't cut it for me. O well, I'll just keep 10 bottles of lube on hand! [Smile]

Thanks for the reply!

Posts: 250 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.