Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » The Pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Pill
*Misty*
Activist
Member # 22843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Misty*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard there are pills that are available to stop your period temporarily? I was wondering how safe they are and what type of pills they are?

Thanks.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pills like Seasonale are timed so that you go three months without a break from the hormones. This stops your period temporarily.

We don't know the long-term effects of this per se. Many women have used it with no problem. Many report spotting. But personally, I like to have my "red flag" around to tell me I'm not pregnant.

There is a chance that not menstruating can lead to endometrial cancer. The endometrium is a rapidly regenerating tissue, which makes it more likely to develop cancer than other slow-turnover cell types. If you retain endometrium, you run a much greater risk of retaining cancerous tissue. Whereas if you shed the stuff every month, then you get rid of potential problems.

Anyway, it's a personal bias of mine, but if a menstrual cycle is such an impediment to your day to day life, then your life is probably not that hard and you've not really known the meaning of having some condition interfere with your function.

but that's just me being crotchety. if you feel that skipping a few periods is going to benefit you really greatly, then please by all meas discuss it with your doctor.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Misty*
Activist
Member # 22843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Misty*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much for the help!

I don't want my period stopped for 3 months just my cycle delayed which is expected around today or tomorrow. I mainly want it stopped because its my boyfriend's and I' 3rd anniversary, for which we are going away on Friday. Hence I was wondering I I could have my period stopped just for this period and was wondering of anything that would help me do this safely without any side effects.

Thanks again.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.