Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » ovulating?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ovulating?
elektra13
Neophyte
Member # 34506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elektra13         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on the pill, have been for a while, and never miss a day. I just finished the first week of this pack.
Last night I had sex w/out a condom (we're both clean and have been together for over a year). Today I've noticed sort of a lot of clear, stretchy, slippery discharge. I read your article on discharge, and it said that this is fertile. Am I ovulating? Should I be worried about this?
Thanks!

Posts: 23 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you've been on the pill for over a month and have been taking it consistently at the same time each day, there's really no reason to be concerned about ovulation. The pill is highly, highly effective at preventing ovulation (and thus pregnancy) when taken correctly, so you really don't need to be worried here.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5788 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acs79
Activist
Member # 33994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acs79     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to be so paranoid,but I have one more question: I've been looking at some other sites that said that you can also check your cervix, so I did, and it's soft and high and seems open, which apparently = ovulation. I know that theoretically I shouldn't be worried, but do you think there could potentially be a problem?

Thanks, and I won't ask any more questions about this!

Posts: 47 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're on hormonal birth control, fluctuations are really hard to read. I wouldn't take a high/open cervix as an indicator of being fertile; your body simply doesn't function the same on the BCP since it essentially tricks your body into thinking it's pregnant.

Even so, checking the cervix in of itself isn't a reliable indication of fertility, and other accompanying symptoms like eggwhite mucus and elevated temperatures, both of which don't show when taking the pill, must be checked at the same time.

So, in short, no reason to worry! Your pills are doing their job. [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acs79
Activist
Member # 33994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acs79     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phew. Thanks! I was even researching where I can get ec, but I think that I just need to breathe...and stop looking at all those fertility awareness sites. So, to recap: even though I am seeing eggwhite mucus and a high, soft cervix, I don't need to worry?
Posts: 47 | From: USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elektra13
Neophyte
Member # 34506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elektra13         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, damn. i just realized that for my last two posts i used my sister's computer (she's acs79, i'm elektra13--she's the one who introduced me to the site) and my comments showed up w/ her user name. i'm really sorry--it won't happen again.
Posts: 23 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(No problem; thanks for clarifying for us! [Smile] )
Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elektra13
Neophyte
Member # 34506

thanks for understanding! so, just to clarify (last time): pill + eggwhite mucus + soft cervix = nothing to worry about?

This site is one of the best things I've ever seen. Thanks.

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Right-o. The pill works by stopping your natural fertility cycle, so any fertility "signs" are nullified. It's normal to have increased discharge and possibly varied cervical position as a hormonal side effect, just as the pill can impact breast growth. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.