Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Mono question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mono question
Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfire&Shadows     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two quick questions about Mono...

First off, when is the period of contagion and is there a time when you're contagious say from kissing but have a lessened contagion from being close to people/breathing on them/sharing glasses?

I was also wondering if it's possible to get it twice or have a relapse?

Thanks

--------------------
We are all made of Star Stuff...
-Carl Sagan

...Their eyes beheld, first of all things, the stars of heaven.
-Silmarillion

Posts: 90 | From: Unknown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mono is usually caused by EBV (Epstein-Barr Virus), and once exposed to it/contracting it, it sticks with you for the rest of your life, whether or not you actually show symptoms. And generally, if you have it once, you won't have it again.

Being close to someone/breathing on them won't give you mono, though. You need to come in contact with saliva, either through kissing, or sharing of glasses, toothbrushes, eating utensils, etc.

It's much harder to contract mono through casual contact; I'm not sure what you mean about "lessened contagion", because the virus stays with you your entire life, so once you got it, you're stuck with it. You may or may not pass it on to anyone: most of the time the virus just goes dormant.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfire&Shadows
Activist
Member # 31388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfire&Shadows     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm not sure what you mean about "lessened contagion""

I was just wondering if there was a time after the symptoms in which it was so "dormant" that spreading it would be unlikely. But (I gather) the answer is no.

Thank you for answering my questions

--------------------
We are all made of Star Stuff...
-Carl Sagan

...Their eyes beheld, first of all things, the stars of heaven.
-Silmarillion

Posts: 90 | From: Unknown | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.