Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » The Pill, Condoms and Appetite

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Pill, Condoms and Appetite
OceanCrowned
Neophyte
Member # 32470

Icon 10 posted      Profile for OceanCrowned     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello [Smile]
This is my first post here and I'm really excited to have some people answer a few of my questions. I'll try to shorten this but I can't promise anything - english student at hand [Wink]

I've been with my boyfriend for five months and we've connected in a way that is truly special. I can honestly say that I love him. We're both eighteen and have recently been experimenting sexualy.

Here's my first question. I am on the pill, specifically tri-cyclenlo. From what I understand it's a low-estrogen pill, that's fine. I'm on my first pack and I started it on the sixth day of my period. How long does it take for this to become fully effective? (I'm on my third day). I'm not planning on using it as my only method of BC, but I would appreciate knowing when 'condomless' sex loses it's pregnancy risk. (we're both tested and STD free).

Also, while on the pill, I've noticed that my appetite has decreased significantly. Why is this? I am already on the small side weight wise, and shouldn't lose much more. Is this a permanent effect?

And lastly, but most importantly. I was comfortable with losing my virginity to him. He didn't rush me, we took our time so that every sexual 'step' was gentle and appreciated. During some of our more intense sessions we ended up naked, with him on top of me. Here's where I'm confused. Once or twice I felt him down by my 'entrance', if you will, and he penetrated me. At least, I think he did. It felt absolutely amazing - but didn't hurt at all. We were not protected, so we both agreed to stop until everything was safer, but I was just wondering: is this sex? I'm treating it like it was as far as risks are concerned, but I'm not sure. It felt like he could have gone in farther, but I'm not entirely, entirely sure of that either, it's so new to me.
Also. When we tried with condoms it didn't work! He couldn't stay inside of me for some reason. Is there any reason why this is? Without the condom we 'fit' perfectly. Should I try a non-lubricated condom? Could it be that it's too 'wet' down there? (We're so comfortable with eachother, so there's no risk about my not being lubricated enough). He's not small, so perhaps the condom makes him -too- big? I'm totally new at this entire thing and it's very frustrating - help!!

Thanks for reading all of this [Smile] I hope to hear from somebody soon.

Posts: 20 | From: Ontario | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless of when the pill is started, young women are advised to wait one full cycle before relying on the pills alone to prevent pregnancy. Most pill instructions say that 7 days is enough of a wait, but it's better to be absolutely safe, especially if your body isn't used to the hormones.

The loss of appetite you're feeling could be related to the pill's side effects. Lots of women have minor nausea during the first couple packs of pills, which could show up for you in the form of loss of appetite. It should begin to go away after the 3rd pack of pills.

Sex is whatever you define it as. Vaginal intercourse itself is defined by the penis penetrating the vaginal canal, but it's up to you if that means "sex" to you, know what I mean? On that same note, virginity is the same way; it depends on what you believe, rather than whether something penetrated you or not!

Lastly, what did you mean by him not being able to stay inside you? There are a few causes for this, be it plain old slipping out, loss of full erection, or condom slippage. We can help out a bit better if we know what happened. [Smile]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanCrowned
Neophyte
Member # 32470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OceanCrowned     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow thanks for the fast reply!!

I'm not entirely sure how to describe the 'slippage' it's kind of like he can't get in all of the way, and when he does he can only stay in that awkward half in or so for one 'push'. He's aroused, I'm aroused, I think the condom is on properly... I don't understand!!

Edited for this comment:
It doesn't happen when there is no condom involved.

[ 03-29-2007, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: OceanCrowned ]

Posts: 20 | From: Ontario | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you're using condoms, are you also using plenty of extra condom-safe lubricant? It sounds like this may be part of the problem - by using lubricant you're going to make penetration much easier and more comfortable, and make intercourse smoother in general.

(And just to add to what Lauren said before per sex and what it means to you - don't forget that while you may not consider it actual intercourse, unporotected direct genital contact still poses pregnancy and STI risks - it sounds like you've already thought of these per screenings and going forward with birth control options, but just figured I'd toss it in, too)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OceanCrowned
Neophyte
Member # 32470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OceanCrowned     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. I guess I could try using additional lubricant, although I didn't think that was a problem. Not to get graphic purposely, but you can -hear- how lubricated I am.
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trouble is, though, natural lubricant dries up with friction MUCH faster than manufactured lubricant, so you may find that extra lubricant really does make everything a bit more slippery.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.