Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Oral Sex Advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oral Sex Advice
Sojo
Neophyte
Member # 31499

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't know if this question is appropriate because you guys tend to warn about having sex.

Well, it's not sex, but oral sex. Is it natural that I don't like the taste of my girlfriend's parts? Does it always taste this bad, or am I just unlucky? Is there something I could have her do to make it taste better? I would have her douche or something but I doubt she would want to.

Two of my friends said it tastes weird but they said I'll get used to it, so far I've done it twice and and it's still so weird to me. The bad part is, she likes me doing it to her, and I like doing it, I just wish it was easier.

[ 11-15-2006, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Sojo ]

Posts: 18 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Just as a disclaimer, Sojo, we don't warn against having sex, we just encourage the use of safer sex practicies like using latex barriers and contraception, and getting STI screenings - and that's just advocating a healthy relationship and taking care of your body.)

For starters, there's is nothing you could HAVE your girlfriend do - she's her own person, and she chooses what to do for herself, you can't choose anything for her. Douching, additionally, is NEVER recomended as it can actually increase the likelihood a woman will develop a bacterial or yeast infection.

The taste of a person's bodily fluids can vary, and again, there's not a lot you can do to change that. Some people like the taste, others don't, just as some people giving/recieiving oral sex and others don't.

A good suggestion, if you enjoy giving her oral sex and she enjoys receiving it? Use a dental dam (or, if you can't find dental dams, you can use a condom as one by rolling it out, snipping the tip off and cutting it in half so you have a large latex square), then taste isn't even going to be an issue. You should be using a dental dam, anyway, as unprotected oral sex can carry STI transmission risks for both you and your girlfriend.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojo
Neophyte
Member # 31499

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really do understand we should be worrying about STIs, but I'm really not too worried since we are each other's first for everything, I know that's a common, idiotic thing to say, but please don't try to make me change my mind. We would only really worry about getting pregnant ;-p.

We really can't even get any condoms, I'm 15 and and she's 16, we really don't have a source of it.

I sort of knew you would say 'everyone is different,' but I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this besides me. I mean, my friend *did* say it was weird tasting, but I wonder how bad he found it since he said he got used to it. Maybe I'll give it a few more shots and just not care too much and just try to not think about it, chew gum, and try to get used to it. I really really want to do it, and she really likes it.

What is a dental dam?

Posts: 18 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A dental dam is just a thin piece of latex designed to cover the genitals during oral sex performed on a woman, or across the anus during oral anal stimulation. If you don't have access to condoms or dental-dams, you can make your own dental dam by using non-microwavable seran wrap!

And hon, I know I'm going to sound like I'm lecturing you on this, but it would be really important for your and your girlfriend to consider EVERY aspect of a sexual relationship and how to be prepared for it in order to prevent STIs or pregnancy.

Just for the record - some STIs can be passed non-sexually, which is why we recomend that even people who have never ever been sexually active receive full STI screenings. A couple good examples are Herpes - which are commonly and oraly known as cold sores, and those you can get from kissing your aunt or grandma when you're little, sharing a drink with a friend, etc. - which can be transmitted to the genitals via oral sex, or even something like a yeast infection, which women usually get for no sexual reason, but can be passed between partners and you can get an oral yeast infection (sometimes known as thrush).

So, unless you're getting screenings? Safer-sex is pretty much always your best bet, at any age, no matter what. And if you don't really have a source of obtaining condoms (I'd recomend finding a Planned Parenthood or similar public clinic in your area, if you need to, they give out condoms for free) or sexual health care (such as STI screenings and annual gynecological care for your girlfriend), you're really not going to be in a good position if you DO ever have a pregnancy risk or STI. Make sense?

(And like I said in my last reply, too - some people simply don't like performing oral sex, whether it be because of discomfort or taste or whatever.

Sexual fluids aren't necessarily something we're automatically used to tasting, so for some people they're an aquired taste, because they have a bit of a, "That's different..." reaction at first, but the more they get into it and their partner gets into it, the good feelings of it start associating with the taste, or they pick up a fondness for the taste, or they're just indifferent... and some people just simply don't like the taste of it, and that's fine, but again, if you end up just not liking the taste? Practice the safer sex side of it, and then you're not only cutting down risks but getting to do the activity in a more enjoyable way for you, or just choose not to do it at all and find something else that works for both of you.)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trasvi
Neophyte
Member # 31498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trasvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
{Edited -- Trasvi, this area of the boards is for staff & volunteer replies ONLY. That is why your previous reply to this topic was deleted and this one has been edited. Further, as we have said here many times, there is no scientific or medical evidence to support your proposed solution to this poster's problem.}

[ 11-16-2006, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

Posts: 14 | From: Australia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojo
Neophyte
Member # 31499

Yeah, I definately know like her eating different food won't make a difference, so yeah, he's an idiot for whatever his reply happened to be :-p.

I understand your position on STIs and stuff and I'm not going to tell you my position, I know it's severity, but I'll make my own judgments, thank you for the advice though, it won't go unforgotten at least.

See that's what I'm hoping; to associate a fondness with the taste just because I know what it is that taste like that, I guess...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.