Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » custody of a minor child

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: custody of a minor child
confused n georgia
Neophyte
Member # 30745

Icon 9 posted      Profile for confused n georgia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not came out as being a lesbian. I am evaluating my sexuality. I have left my husband an filed for a divorce. My question is will the custody of my minor child be influenced if I was to actually be gay? I don't know if state laws are different. I don't want to tell my lawyer. My husband thinks I might be even though I have never even mentioned it. We've just had problems for a long time. Thank You for any help.
Posts: 5 | From: dayton | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I don't think we can give you a hard and fast answer on that... you're gonna be at the mercy of the justice system of Georgia if you're petitioning for custody.

There aren't any laws on the books in terms of "gay parents don't get to have custody," but because of our screwed up society, things tend to function that way.

Are the problems in your marriage causing you to question your identity, or is this something you've wondered about for a while?

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=25

This forum is for gender issues, if you're interested in trying to evaluate your situation with some feedback.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confused n georgia
Neophyte
Member # 30745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confused n georgia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just my marriage. I've thought this way for a while. Being married I've had to lie to myself for a long time. It just scares me to try and explore right now because of my divorce.
Posts: 5 | From: dayton | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.