Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Mono

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mono
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 4 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I'm asking anyway.

There's a pretty big chance my boyfriend has Mono. He was given medication, and if the sickness does not go away, then they are taking bloodwork. If he has it, there is pretty much no way that I don't have it. Not even just through kissing, but unprotected oral. I'm really upset. What exactly is mono? If I have it, must I be in bed for weeks? I'm starting a new job soon, and I have alot of things to look foward to. I want to cry.

Posts: 250 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Understand that with mono, there isn't treatment to make it go away. Treatment is to manage the discomfort of symtpoms, and/or ward off other infections (when you have one infection, it's easier to get another). But treatment doesn't make mono go away: it is a simple virus which needs to self-resolve and pass in time on its own.

The best thing you can do per your health right now is to take care of it, whether you contracted mono or not. Pump up your immune system by being sure to get some extra rest, stay active, and eat healthy, nutritious foods. Take some extra Vitamin C, in tablet form or via foods. Don't engage in intimate contact with your boyfriend right now, either.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright. I just took a vitamin. I worked out yesterday, so I am staying active. I feel tired and it is kind of hard to swallow. but he really just may have the flu or something. We don't know. But I will do everything I can to stay healthy.

He wants to come over today. I pretty much told him "No.". If we don't kiss (or he doesn't cough or sneeze near me, I know mono is transmitted from saliva) or get sexual, will I be alright? I'm not having him over anyway, I just want to know.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Posts: 250 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Casual contact/company should be fine.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Activist
Member # 30201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope I don't get in trouble for posting here, but this is something I know a lot about.

People typically contract mono 1 month before they start getting symptoms. So if your boyfriend is in fact starting to show symptoms from mono, you've already been exposed to it plenty. Now, not everyone who is exposed to the disease through saliva contracts it, and only about 1/3 of people who contract it get serious symptoms that are typically associated with mono. The rest (lucky !#$*!) just have mild symptoms, like they would if they had a cold for a week or two.

The more severe cases, you'll run a fever for awhile, you'll feel tired, you'll get a very sore throat, you may get stuffy sinuses, and you'll be sick from 1 to 3 months. I had never been that sick in my life. But yes, advice is: drink lots of fluids, make sure you eat enough even if it's got to be fluids and don't exhaust yourself. Limit intimate contact at least until you know you both have it or you both don't. Best wishes.

Posts: 443 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for replying. That was definitely a major help. =]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.