Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Examination

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Examination
Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alatariel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Alesse 28 for 3 months, and now, in order to renew my perscription, my doctor says that I need to have some sort of exam done (Pelvic exam? Pap? I'm not sure) Do I have to go to a gynecologist for this kind of thing, or can a walk-in clinic (It's listed as an "After Hours Clinic") do whatever is necessary? Will it cost me any money? Finally, do I need a parent present to get this sort of thing done? My doctor said I can't get it done at her office, and she told me about a place near my work, but I'm not sure if this is the right one. Thanks.
Posts: 128 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do not need to go to a gynecologist to renew your pill prescription. I dont understand why your doctor wouldnt be able to do a pap test for you ...?

I've found that most after hours clinics will not do pap tests. I know the area i'm in has Pap clinics for women who do not have family doctors. If you need help finding one in your area, you can google your city/area and 'health unit' (or you can tell me where you are and i can do it for you). You can also just call your local health unit and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Also, if you're in college/university, they should have health services there for you (and they do Pap tests). If you're looking for the specific one your doctor was talking about, it'd be best to just call her and check.

As long as you have your OHIP card, you will not be charged for Pap tests. You do not need parental consent for Pap tests.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alatariel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor is a pediatrician, so she doesn't do pap tests at her office (I still go to a pediatrician because I just turned 18, and I don't go to a gynecologist because my mother hasn't deemed it "necessary" because she doesn't know I'm sexually active. I know, keeping secrets is bad, but the result of my telling the truth would be worse) I'm going to the doctor's tonight (it's walk-in) and if they can't do it there, I'll have to wait until I'm back at university. Can they do pap tests if you have your period, though? Because I will by the time I'm at school.
Posts: 128 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may be lucky and have them do it at the walk-in clinic ... I have tried though, and always been turned down [Frown]

They don't like to do Pap tests while you're on your period ... It can mess up the results. It is totally okay to wait until you're done w/ your period though. It's important to have this done, but it's not so urgent that it can't wait until you can get an appointment and you're not on your period.

Your university's health services sound like your best bet right now. I would suggest calling them as soon as possible to set up an appointment ... This way you'll be able to pick a time that is convenient for you (for your schedule and your period!)

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

My major problem is, once my period's done, I'm out of pills. Would it be a major risk if I missed a day or so before starting a new pack? My boyfriend and I use a condom every time. It wouldn't be like starting all over again, with the side effects, would it? (I'm still gonna try the walk in, now tomorrow, because my ride couldn't get a car.)
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

If that's the case, i would try to strike a deal w/ your pediatrician. Explain the situation, tell her you're going to get a Pap test at your university, and hope she takes pity on you! You may be able to squeeze another three month prescription out of her (but i'd be grateful for one!) ...

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you call your doctor's office and ask for a refill to get you through this month until you can get back to school? (You might even want to call your uni health center and make the appointment now so that you can tell your regular doctor when the appointment will be. That way they'll know that you really do plan to get checked.) Lots of times they will give you one refill to get you through.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

But if I can't get a refil for a mnth, will it be like starting all over again if I miss a day or two?
Alatariel
Activist
Member # 27408

Nevermind. It's all been fixed. I'm got another month's pills. Thanks so much for all the help!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.