Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » A little explanation.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A little explanation.
*Misty*
Activist
Member # 22843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Misty*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of weeks back, I had a problem regarding unprotected sex and you guys helped alot and I really learned my lesson. Therefore, me and my boyfriend have been using condoms ALWAYS and will ALWAYS continue to do so [Smile]

However, considering having the biggest scare ever, I know just how risky having unprotected sex is. I have a very good friend who is having unprotected sex with her boyfriend and although I keep telling her that its not worth it and not safe considering my experience, she keeps saying that she and her boyfriend are using the 'withdrawal' method and that it's safe.

I know this is not 100% effective and although it's not my business, I was wondering if you could help me explain to her just how risky it is and what her chances of getting pregnant are because believe me, she's not at all ready to be a mother. And just for my clarification how exactly would you define the 'withdrawal' method?

Thank you! [Smile]

Posts: 50 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you're following our advice! It's nice when our users come back to thank us.

Most people define the "withdrawl" method as when a man pulls out of his partner before ejaculation and ejaculates elsewhere (or doesn't ejaculate at all). However, since semen can be present in pre-ejaculate, and since sometimes men misjudge when they'll ejaculate, her chances for pregnancy are pretty good. They aren't as high as if her partner was ejaculating inside her, but this is definitely risky behavior.

Our article Margaret Sanger’s Disneyland: An easy chart of your birth control options puts her risk at about 30%, but the risk will vary depending on where she is in her cycle. There's also significant STI risks from what she's doing as well.

You might want to share these articles or information from these articles with her to help her understand the risks she's taking:

What's The Risk? Five Easy Pregnancy Risk Assessment Flow Charts
A Quickie STD/STI Risk Assessment

Or, if she has questions, she's welcome to join us here to ask about them. [Smile]

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Misty*
Activist
Member # 22843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Misty*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much...

I'll be sure to print out those 2 articles are show her...

THANK YOU...

And I'm sorry for double posting mymsg but I hit the 'Add topic' button twice by mistake :S.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.