Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Tampons question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tampons question
openfire
Neophyte
Member # 17311

Icon 1 posted      Profile for openfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive had my period for about 5 years, yet I only started using tampons nearly a year ago. At that time, I had had no sexual contact at all, and nothing had every been put in my vagina, so I'm assuming that I had at least a partial hymen.

When I started using tampons, I used mini ones, which have the same absorbancy as regular ones, they're just slimmer for starters.

However, I still use the mini ones now, even though I've now been involved in sexual activity including manual sex and intercourse, which I have bled at before, so I'm assuming that I streched my hymen.

But is it still ok to use the mini tampons? I know that they expand to fit into your vagina, but should I start using regular sized ones now that technically I shouldn't have a hymen, and so shouldn't need to use the slimmer ones?

Posts: 19 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the slimmer ones still work for you, and you're not getting any leakage or slippage, then keep using them. As I'm sure you know from the little leaflet, you should always use the lowest absorbency tampon for your needs; this lessens the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome.

If you're having problems with the slims, go up to the regulars. Really, though, it's a fit and comfort issue, and whether you've had sex or not if you're a petite girl sometimes the slimmer ones can be more comfortable.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don’t know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president." - Kurt Vonnegut, "Cold Turkey"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.