Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » this is just messed up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: this is just messed up
coolestdesignz
Activist
Member # 18028

Icon 4 posted      Profile for coolestdesignz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boys (and likely girls too) at my school seem to think that oral sex without any sort of barrier is safe. They think that using a condom is somehow "not as good". They think that swallowing is important (I know this has been the topic of many a post here, usually countered with "why aren't you using a condom?"). I've gone to my school administrators about this. They say it can't be discussed in a classroom in the yearly sex-ed because the state would forbid it on the grounds that it would promote safer-sex. For a Math project my friends collected data on this topic, and they discovered that over 60% of students have had or performed oral sex and less that 1% of those students used protection.

Where are the students getting these illusions? What should be done in response to the faculty's passiveness? This is one heck of a horror story for you guys.

I don't know if this post should go here. I wasn't quite sure as to where to put it. Anyway, it might make good material for this site.

-----------------
Problems never solve themselves. Anyone who says different has problems.

Posts: 203 | From: Laguna Niguel, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, since 1996 in the Unites Staes there has been no federalf funding for comprehensive sex education. Therefore, if your school is accepting state funding for their sex ed curricula, they CANNOT discuss that, or else they lose those funds.

So, like it or not (and no, we certainly don't, we've addressed this issue umpteen times over the years on and off site), if that's the case, what they're saying to you is valid.

And yes, those assumptions and misconceptions about the safety of oral sex run rampant among not just teens, but adults as well. Where are they getting those ideas? Well, our last president sure didn't help, and neither do notions of "technical" virginity. You'll likely find many of your classmates feel the same way about anal sex, too.

But you know, while your faculty can't do anything, you and your fellow students likely can: you can come up with leaflet campaigns, posters, mini-rallies, you name it.

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this needs to be moved somewhere, but i'm not sure where. can someone ship it over to where it should be?

------------------
Q ... E ... D ... bee-yatch!
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.