Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » need help on giving help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: need help on giving help
randomperson
Neophyte
Member # 18116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randomperson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I have a problem concerning a friend of mine. A week ago she had protected sex using a regular latex condom. This is the first time that she has had sex, and now she is paranoid that she is pregnant. I have told her numerous times that it is highly unlikly, that she was protected, but she has gotten herself into this "hole" of worry and paranoya that now she has herself convinved that she might be pregnant, and she has looked into abortion clinics, and the risks of having an abortion. She feels she is worthless, and that she is full of shame. I am doing my best to keep her spirits up, and to help put her mind at ease. I don't know what impact I have had on her, but I need some advise as to how to convince her that she is not pregnant, and that she is a good person.
Posts: 1 | From: california | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, how about getting her a pregnancy test? Not sure why that thought didn't cross anyone's mind here, especially if she's been reading abortion material or clling clinics, where that's the first thing that'd be suggested.

She'll need to wait until it's been ten days after she had sex to get an accurate result.

In the meantime, I actually would suggest you don't feed into the drama too much: that's not to be little her worry, but often -- especially in situations where wild conclusions are leapt to in the face of reason and sensible steps -- a big driver in this kind of panic are the intense feelings the panic produces.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.