Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » yeast infection continued

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: yeast infection continued
krayzieqt55
Neophyte
Member # 12554

Icon 5 posted      Profile for krayzieqt55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would the Monistat not be a good idea for a yeast infection? .. Also, I asked what causes a yeast infection, I knew it was bacteria.. but I meant, how do you get the yeast infection in the first place, like.. is it something you do, eat, etc?

------------------
~*~XoX~*~

Posts: 26 | From: florida | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Becuase if what you've got isn't a yeast infection, it'll do you no good, and might make any yeast infections you get after that more resistant to treatment.

Yeast is a fungus, not a bacterium, and is naturally found in the system. Sometimes it grows to excess, being on antibiotics, or losing the halthy bacteria normally found in the vagina can cause that. Not keeping clean enough, or wearing damp clothes can make your vagina a more hospitable environment for them, too.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF

I still love you, oh, I still love you
...Only slightly, only slightly less than I used to

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monistat and other similar drugs like Lotrimin are anti-fungal drugs. Yeast are NOT bacteria. They are fungi. totally different organismal kingdoms (Kingdoms: animalia, plantae, fungi, protista, monera -- see a basic science book 7th grade and up for more details). Fungi have different properties than bacteria.

Anyway, so those drugs kill fungi. Similar drugs cure things like ringworm or athlete's foot.

You have yeast living in your vagina naturally; they coexist peacefully with bacteria (lactobacilli). sometimes, something disrupts the balance in there and one side takes over. In your case, the yeast are winning. Sometimes, taking antibiotics kills your lactobacilli and the yeast take over. Or sometimes sugar gets in there (from the wrong lube or something) and the yeast get more food to eat and they take over.

------------------
May suffering and pestilence befall the %$@! who broke into my car.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.