Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Hmmmm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hmmmm
pepsibottle
Neophyte
Member # 10279

Icon 5 posted      Profile for pepsibottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my situation: I had sex with my boyfriend for the first time (I know virginty isn't a form of birth control) a week before the date that I was supposed to start my period. We didn't use a condom (bad I know), but he pulled out before he came. I know that no cum got inside me, but I'm not sure about precum, and I know you can get pregnant from that. I took the ECP 4 hours before the 72 hour deadline. It's the day that I'm supposed to start my period, and it's not here. What are my chances of being pregnant? Will all my worrying make it late? How long will it be before it comes? Some one said that sometimes when some girls have sex, even when they're on birth control, they skip a month or two. What is going on?
Posts: 1 | From: cincinnati | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sexual intercourse does not cause a delay in periods unless a woman has become pregnant.

EC is not 100% effective. For as much as I can, I'd say given your circumstance, the EC and such, you've got a moderate chance of being pregnant.

Wait a few more days for your period. If it does not arrive, you can then take a pregnancy test. In addition, since you had unprotected sex, be sure to get STD and STI testing for both you and your partner soon. Unprotected sex puts you at a high risk of pregnancy, STDs and STIs. It's not a matter of it being "bad" so much as it is a matter of making poor choices which can impact the health and well-being of the both of you, potentially for your whole lives.

Get smart: next time, have sex responsibly. If you can't do that, wait for sex until you can.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sex itself will not delay a period. worrying will, however. you did what you needed to do except for two things (i am assuming). get an std screen because it is entirely possible to already be carrying stds without ever having sex. and one your way back, buy some condoms and learn to use them.

Emergency contraception is hormonal, and it can cause your period to be later or early. So do your best to relax and your period will come back. if it doesn't, then consider taking a pregnancy test because, unfortunately, these things fail sometimes.

good luck to you, and let this be a lesson to you to play it safer from now on

------------------
"Things are only fragile till they break."

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.