Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnant?
ajsajsajs
Neophyte
Member # 10191

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ajsajsajs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fiance and i had intercourse for the first time while i was on my period and i had a tampon in and he released a little accidentally and my period continued for a couple more days afterward and i was just wondering if i could still get pregnant? please answer ASAP!!!!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you most certainly can. You also have a risk of STD and STI transmission if you did not use a condom and other safer sex measures, which is increased for you both due to your period.

Being on one's period is not birth control. Neither is withdrawal. Neither are safer sex, either.

If it has been less then 72 hours since this occured, I suggest you get to a clinic and get emergency contraception. You should also make an appointment for STI screenings in about a month, as should your partner.

If it has been more than 72 hours, you will simply have to wait a month to take a pregnancy test, and them's the brakes.

I suggest in the interim that you are your partner look at the following together:
¥ Ready or Not? ÐThe Readiness Checklist

¥ Safe, Sound & Sexy Ð A Safer Sex How-To

¥ Margaret SangerÕs Disneyland - An easy chart of your birth control options

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68006 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And please keep in mind that tampons and anything else should be removed from the vagina before having sex.

Sex with a tampon is dangerous. Not only can you can cause damage to your cervix but it offers absolutely no protection against STDs, STIs, or pregnancy.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a note: you can take a pregnancy test as soon as it's been 10-14 days since the incident in question, or the first missed day of your next period, whichever is sooner.

As people have already explained, you do have a significant pregnancy risk, so I suggest you take a test a.s.a.p.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.