Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Is it possible?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it possible?
spiralnotebook
Neophyte
Member # 9175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spiralnotebook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I've just started getting sexual with my boyfriend. We had sex for the first time a few days ago, before that, I was a virgin. We used a new condom, we even went over the checklist on here together, so all that's good, we're both pretty conscious of health issues. The thing is, I want to start on birth control pills as soon as possible, but I don't want to have to ask my mom for them. I'm 17, and last I checked that means I can request perscriptions on my own. But would I still have to go through my family's doctor? I don't know if he would tell my parents, or request that he speak to them. And how much would it cost me to get birth control pills, on my own, if thats even possible? I know certain medical things are covered by our health insurance/HMO (I'm fuzzy on the finer points of that) but I don't know if birth control would be.

I'd just like to get on the pill quickly without having to deal with the drama that might arise if I "consult" with my mom first. My dad has been having lots of health problems lately and the last thing I need is to get into a big stress fit with my mom over the fact that I'm having sex. Basically I just want to reduce stress on all fronts, and I really, really want to be on the pill! It makes me nervous just using condoms alone, even though we've only had sex once.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good onya for being so responsible! it sounds like you're doing a great job looking after the sexual health of yourself and your partner.

the thing to do, which i'm sure you realize, is of course to see a gynecologist. you need to do that anyway, especially now that you're sexually active. for more info about that, check out your first gynecologist visit. it's really such a huge not-big-deal. you need to have an exam if you want to go on the pill.

the best thing to do is to let your parents know. it might not be as big of a deal as you think it is, and there are certainly worse things - like, for example, telling your mom you're pregnant when she didn't even know you were sexually active. also, around here we recommend that girls see a GYN when they begin to menstruate; talking to your mom about going is unlikely to start world war III.

if you don't want to go through your family doctor, you could go through planned parenthood or another clinic. they generally have sliding payment scales, and birth control pills should be very affordable. it should be covered by your HMO, but it might not be, and if it is, it might be stated in a way that your parents would see it. the only way to know is to call and ask.

best of luck, dear. :-D

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.