Donate Now

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: Parents, Adults and Teens.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Should I tell?

Author Topic: Should I tell?
ConfusedGirl1
Activist
Member # 7456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConfusedGirl1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is this girl I know from church, "Michelle." She is about 15, and she is sorta mentally slow. Michelle comes from a very religous family, where pre-marital sex is forbidden.

Well, I am a cashier, and last night, her boyfriend came through my line and bought condoms (he didn't know I knew her). She was waiting for him in another line, and when she saw me, she totally flipped out and ran off because I had just found out they were having sex.

Now I am in a though situation, should I tell Michelle's mom? I am 19, and should I be mature and tell her mom? I know it is none of my business, but like I previously said, Michelle is not the smartest thing in the world. She is mentally slow. I am afraid she is going to get pregnant and there is no way this girl could handle a baby.

I don't want to get Michelle in any trouble at all. It has nothing to do with that. I am just seriously concerned for her. I know it is none of my business, but then again, I would feel so terrible if Michelle did happen to get pregnant.

It is not my business at all, so should I just keep my mouth shut?

Posts: 49 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a variety of opinions, this topic would be more appropriate in another forum, as only advocates and sexperts can answer here.

That said, my opinion is that you should talk to Michelle first before telling her parents. The fact that her boyfriend was buying condoms shows that one or both of them is taking some responsibility for birth control and STI prevention. You might even direct them both to Scarleteen for information. Being "slow" doesn't mean that Michelle can't make her own sexual choices, and she has a right to understand her options just like anyone else.

There could be legal considerations as well, if Michelle's boyfriend is 18 or older. You don't say where you live, so check www.ageofconsent.com for the laws in your state.

[This message has been edited by Lady Moonlight (edited 05-24-2002).]

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll toss this on over to Parents, Adults, and Teens so that you can get more opinions.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.