Donate Now

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: GLBT Relationships.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Homophobia

Author Topic: Homophobia
zarathustrav
Neophyte
Member # 6962

Icon 5 posted      Profile for zarathustrav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bisexual male, and I hear homophobic comments at my highschool at least 20 times a day. I can usually ignore them (when necessary) or kick ass (when necessary), but sometimes they really get to me. I've been trying to orginize a GSA at my school, but the economy and faculty-availability have been troublesome. A GSA would definately help the situation, but it most certainly would not fix it. However, it doesn't exist yet; so until then, what do I do? I've joined the GLBTQ support group (for other reasons, e.g. to get a feel for the queer situation at my school), but I only meet with them once a week for forty minutes. I'm not sure how well my straight friends (whom I am out to, of course. At this point it would be appropriate to thank the Hell out of Scarleteen for "Don't Let the Door Hit You on the Way Out".) would understand. They're very understanding usually, but I see two scenarios: under-reaction because of an impossibility to sympathize or over reaction for the same reason. I can expect empathy, but also confusion. I'm much abliged for your advice.
Posts: 5 | From: Skokie, Illinois, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna move this on over to GBLT Relationships, where you'll be able to get more than one (or a few) opinion(s), okie?
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.